Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

wonder how today will go...

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

So today is our first day of school. we have been doing ona dn off review for a few weeks, but today we are officially starting. i am very excited. the downside? i was up until 2am due to pregnancy insomnia lol. so i got about 5hrs of sleep. wish me luck!

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM
You can do it!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM
I second mem. You CAN do this! Just remember to take some breaks and rest yourself. No need to become overtaxed. :)
rmgriffberg
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM

well we did it! coffee helped lol. There was a lot of not listening and me having to say the same thing 10 times in a minute but we got through everything i had planned. We will work on making our school day a little longer, if need be but for now we did 3 hrs...i was hoping for 3.5-4. We were supposed to go the the library after lunch but it is pouring and dh has the van.... so maybe before dinner.

Quoting mem82: You can do it!

rmgriffberg
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

We did it. we did 3hrs and for our first day of Kindergarten and Preschool i feel good about it. there was a lot of not listening and repeating myself, but i expected that and we will work on that. the biggest challenge was keeping the 1yr old entertained without disrupting the older 2 lol. we were going to go to the library after lunch but its raining and dh has the van so maybe we will go before dinner.

Quoting kirbymom: I second mem. You CAN do this! Just remember to take some breaks and rest yourself. No need to become overtaxed. :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM
YAY! How awesome for you guys. :)
I know what you mean about the little one. I was there for several years running. lol

Quoting rmgriffberg:

We did it. we did 3hrs and for our first day of Kindergarten and Preschool i feel good about it. there was a lot of not listening and repeating myself, but i expected that and we will work on that. the biggest challenge was keeping the 1yr old entertained without disrupting the older 2 lol. we were going to go to the library after lunch but its raining and dh has the van so maybe we will go before dinner.

Quoting kirbymom: I second mem. You CAN do this! Just remember to take some breaks and rest yourself. No need to become overtaxed. :)

rmgriffberg
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Any tips for keeping them happy?

Quoting kirbymom: YAY! How awesome for you guys. :)
I know what you mean about the little one. I was there for several years running. lol

Quoting rmgriffberg:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, including them in the schoolwork is a great way to start. Having some handy activity or two that can be treated as "schoolwork" is also helpful. Having an older child help lo by doing some of the lo's "schoolwork" with them is helpful and you can use that time as a refresher for the older child. I also teach according to capability as much or more than just grade level.

Quoting rmgriffberg: Any tips for keeping them happy?

Quoting kirbymom: YAY! How awesome for you guys. :)

Quoting rmgriffberg:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:45 AM
This is just a friendly suggestion because each family decides what is best for them, however 3-4 hours is a long time for kg and prek.

Honestly, those ages are fine with maybe 2-3 sessions of 20 minutes max. Plus some learning through play and hands on fun.

If you are pushing hard for 3-4 hours of school, it might backfire.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN