Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Feeling bummed...

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

A bunch of friends are posting their kiddos first  day of kindergarten photos on Facebook with their backpacks and lunch boxes at the front door and suddenly I'm feeling sad. We started Kindergarten 2 weeks ago but I didn't do a big photo op. DS actually did his first day of school in his PJs because he didn't want to get dressed that day(he has sensory challenges which is 1 of MANY reasons why we homeschool). I know he loves homeschooling and I do too but I can't help but feel a little sad that he's missing out on some of the extra foolishness if actually GOING to school. Like school pictures, classroom parties, honor roll, etc. he doesn't know any different having never gone to school but having taught for almost a decade in public school I feel it.

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Aw. You need to plan a Not Back to School day. Go out to eat, make something explode, visit a nice empty zoo. Make it a special big deal. 8)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Why not do some of those ideas yourselves? Make a scrapbook for him, sort of like a baby book but for school.
collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Make a back to school pic now, & join a homeschooling group so you can do some of those other things!
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Just wanted to pipe in and let you know that you aren't alone :)

I keep going to check out the local public and the local Catholic school website, SURE that Nico is missing out on something staying home this year. And he is - there's no way to get around there; he won't have the classroom parties, recess activities, etc... but then I look at the long term academic goals for the schools' kindergarten year, and I remember why I'm homeschooling, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Molimomma
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM

We are actually going to the zoo this week because we're doing a totally awesome rainforest unit and we have most of the animals at the San Antonio zoo so I'm planning an explorer adventure scavenger hunt. We are going to go eat at Rainforest Cafe this week too, which we couldn't have done in "regular school". I seriously love everything about homeschooling I just wish I could keep myself from feeling like he's missing out. I mean, it's not like I even look at any of my school pictures(most of them are horrors anyway) and I could have wallpapered my room in honor roll certificates but who really cares about those once you graduate anyway? I need to just stop guilt-tripping myself...

Quoting mem82: Aw. You need to plan a Not Back to School day. Go out to eat, make something explode, visit a nice empty zoo. Make it a special big deal. 8)

Molimomma
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Thank you for that. I agree, the benefits WAY OUTWEIGH the cons so it's no question about what we are doing or even why. I just wish I could get that little voice to shut up and enjoy the day without caring what everyone else is doing. I taught K for plenty of years I know how stressed the teacher is and how terrified the kids are. The first day of school isn't even really all that much fun it's fire drill practice, bathroom breaks, lunch room chaos and maybe a coloring sheet or two. That first week of school is bananas. I wouldn't trade that for this any day!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Just wanted to pipe in and let you know that you aren't alone :)

I keep going to check out the local public and the local Catholic school website, SURE that Nico is missing out on something staying home this year. And he is - there's no way to get around there; he won't have the classroom parties, recess activities, etc... but then I look at the long term academic goals for the schools' kindergarten year, and I remember why I'm homeschooling, lol.

mom2gdj
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Last year on the first day of public school I took a picture of my kids still in their beds and posted it. It was fun. class pictures can be done with a local photographer. Class parties can be done with other homeschoolers in your area. I would not worry about the honor roll. It does not help students get into college.

mommy2cristian
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Yeah, that can bum you out.  But I'm different because when I see those pics I get sad that it means my kids are growing up.  Plus, I'll have to remember that when my oldest went how I stood there terrified because I knew in my heart something wasn't right (school isn't a good fit for him) and I won't miss myself fighting back tears. :)

mommaof697
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:17 AM

we do a spirit day every month. and the kids help pick it out. are we doing pj day or camo (our fave) day. inside out day or all dressed up day. 

You can do extra pic days just because you can. not when they doo it. have fun with certain days. We as homeschoolers have so much more freedom than the schools do, be creative and have fun.

DEB, wife to wonderful husband and mom to 6 blessings

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM

There are times that I get bummed about what they might be missing as well.  That's when we go do something that we wouldn't be able to do if they were in school.  Since our summer is so full of gardening, canning, splitting firewood, etc.  We really didn't have time to go to the zoo, museums, and hiking much when Zave was in PS.  But in October, it's still warm, but the canning is done and we can do a whole day.  We get through more because the crowds are down and I'm not  as anxious because there aren't as many people there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)