Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ugh! Help me decide...

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:50 PM
  • 18 Replies

I'm struggling with nailing down a Social Studies/History curriculum for my DD5. We tried Sonlight, and I'm just not liking it. I think my DD and I both prefer the textbook/worksheet approach, so I have a tangible way of measuring her progress. Plus she's an independent worker who loves to do worksheets.

I'm debating between Bob Jones History vs Abeka History. I want to make sure the content isn't too light or filled with fluff but still interesting enough for her. I also want it to be challenging but not over her head.

Has anyone else used these for Kindergarten or 1st Grade?

What are your thoughts?

Pros and cons?

I'm also open to other suggestions that use the worksheet approach.

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Which  Abeka book are you thinking of using?

SamuraiQueen
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Abeka - My America and My World 1st Grade.

Bob Jones - Heritage Studies Grade 1

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
At 5, social studies and science topics really are best served as tools to help the child develop the three main subjects (the three "r's").

Unless you are required by state law or just extremely WANT to cover it as a separate curriculum, I would just do some basics like learning about your community helpers, some VERY basic early map skills, american symbols and flag, etc.

Use a variety of books from the library that are interesting and go from there.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:11 AM

We have the Bob Jones one. I like it because it covers topics briefly that we will go back over in depth later. This is going to be used as an intro. It is easy to do and very easy for my dd to read by herself so she will be able to do the worksheets and even readings independently if need be. I will also be able to expand on any areas and incorporate more activities of my own pretty easily. The downer is that it is easy so if you really want in-depth learning with tons of details this wouldn't be for you. The other downer for me is that sometime a worksheet says to cut something out but then there is another worksheet on the other side instead of being blank so I have to copy it which is a pain. My daughter does enjoy it and can do it independently. I like that I can have her read it although I do wish it had a little more. I would say reading level may only be kindergarten but I can't say that for sure. I know you can look at sample pages online though. :-)

GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM

OP: What KrissyKC just recommended teaching is what BJU covers in Heritage Studies. This explains it better than I think I did in my comment. :-)

Quoting KrissyKC: At 5, social studies and science topics really are best served as tools to help the child develop the three main subjects (the three "r's"). Unless you are required by state law or just extremely WANT to cover it as a separate curriculum, I would just do some basics like learning about your community helpers, some VERY basic early map skills, american symbols and flag, etc. Use a variety of books from the library that are interesting and go from there.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:37 AM
I do not recommend abeka's science or history. We use MFW for those.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I started my DD on Story of the World last year and LOVE it! Wish we had tried it sooner. 

I know it isn't on your list but i have no experience with either of the ones you mentioned.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM
I do not use either but understand from some that both are decent.
SamuraiQueen
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Thank you. Our state does require social studies as one of the subjects. Most of the Kindergarten curriculum I'm finding have to do with community helpers and American symbols/map, which we've already covered in Pre-K. That's why I'm looking for more of an intro to history. I was hoping to find that in 1st Grade curriculum.

Quoting KrissyKC: At 5, social studies and science topics really are best served as tools to help the child develop the three main subjects (the three "r's"). Unless you are required by state law or just extremely WANT to cover it as a separate curriculum, I would just do some basics like learning about your community helpers, some VERY basic early map skills, american symbols and flag, etc. Use a variety of books from the library that are interesting and go from there.

SamuraiQueen
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info. We've already done community helpers and some american symbols/map intro, and I'd rather not repeat any of that or have the bulk of the curriculum be about that. Would you say this is the bulk of the curriculum for BJU Grade 1? How much intro to history (world or American) or even geography's covered?

Quoting GodsAmiga:

We have the Bob Jones one. I like it because it covers topics briefly that we will go back over in depth later. This is going to be used as an intro. It is easy to do and very easy for my dd to read by herself so she will be able to do the worksheets and even readings independently if need be. I will also be able to expand on any areas and incorporate more activities of my own pretty easily. The downer is that it is easy so if you really want in-depth learning with tons of details this wouldn't be for you. The other downer for me is that sometime a worksheet says to cut something out but then there is another worksheet on the other side instead of being blank so I have to copy it which is a pain. My daughter does enjoy it and can do it independently. I like that I can have her read it although I do wish it had a little more. I would say reading level may only be kindergarten but I can't say that for sure. I know you can look at sample pages online though. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)