Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone does this or do you all come up with your own lesson plans? Thanks!

Thanks for the replies and the tips/info.  I appreciate it!

Background:  I did homeschool my 3rd grader through a Charter school for 1st grade. He's been in public school for Kindergarten & 2nd grade.  The Charter school wasn't bad but I was thinking of trying an online one this time around.  I'm still rather new & as for me building my own curriculum I'm hesitent to do that.  Maybe like some an online school for a year just to get my footing is the way to go.  But I don't like the idea of us being tied to a computer at specific times.  With the Charter school you meet once a month & provide a few sample pages of work completed.  

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Replies (11-15):
sweetfox3
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I did virtual school with my kids where they were given the lesson plan:  fight daily to get everything done.

After a couple years in public school regular, I tried an online charter:  fight weekly to get the reports of what was accomplished turned into the teacher.

Re-enrolled in PS.  This year, took them out and independently homeschooled:  they do great being casually-schooled:  no lesson plan, but have resources, texts, workbooks, internet.  They decide what they want to learn and we go with that (based upon grade-appropriate work).

mommy2cristian
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Quoting sweetfox3:

I did virtual school with my kids where they were given the lesson plan:  fight daily to get everything done.

After a couple years in public school regular, I tried an online charter:  fight weekly to get the reports of what was accomplished turned into the teacher.

Re-enrolled in PS.  This year, took them out and independently homeschooled:  they do great being casually-schooled:  no lesson plan, but have resources, texts, workbooks, internet.  They decide what they want to learn and we go with that (based upon grade-appropriate work).

Interesting. It would he nice if CA was like the states where no requirements are needed to homeschool. My option would be to set up myself as a private school. I did have to fight with him when we were in Charter school but I think that's because he thought he wouldn't have to do anything. In public school we fight about reading then having to write about what he read 4 times a week.
JENNlEPEPSl
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:11 AM

DD and I use connections academy. I would buy the curriculum from them, and do it myself. But i Cant afford it :( so we use the public school system instead. It can be a headache, But its honestly not bad. I have a group for online public schools, if you are interested. im not sure what the advertizing rules are here, i havent looked in a while sorry, 

mommy2cristian
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:33 AM
Quoting JENNlEPEPSl:

DD and I use connections academy. I would buy the curriculum from them, and do it myself. But i Cant afford it :( so we use the public school system instead. It can be a headache, But its honestly not bad. I have a group for online public schools, if you are interested. im not sure what the advertizing rules are here, i havent looked in a while sorry, 

Do you like using them? I read some reviews but it varied for each state. I'm leaning more towards a Charter school because all the work per month just has to be done. You don't have to be online by a certain time or anything like that. You set your own hours or days as long as work is done. To be honest you just provide samples of the work. Plus, with his anxiety I don't think he'll be comfortable if he has to do group classes where other kids can see him.

But you can message me that way we're not violating any rules.
JENNlEPEPSl
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:14 AM
Ibdo like it. But I'm also very unorganized and have learning disabilities of my own. Having a teacher to turn to for dd makes me feel much better.

As long as you log 20 hours a week no matter how you do it its fine. Dd ndni are able to get all our work done in 4 hours.

Quoting mommy2cristian:
Quoting JENNlEPEPSl:

Do you like using them? I read some reviews but it varied for each state. I'm leaning more towards a Charter school because all the work per month just has to be done. You don't have to be online by a certain time or anything like that. You set your own hours or days as long as work is done. To be honest you just provide samples of the work. Plus, with his anxiety I don't think he'll be comfortable if he has to do group classes where other kids can see him.

But you can message me that way we're not violating any rules.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)