Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Life of Fred

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm really drawn to Life of Fred for math.  I think my lil would respond well to it.  But I've heard from several sources that it doesn't work as a stand alone curriculum?  

So, if you used this, how did you supplement it?  Thanks!

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

We use Life of Fred to supplement Math U See.  There are 18 chapters in each Fred book, so we do a chapter each week as a "break" from math.  That takes us through a book each semester.  Fred uses some great vocabulary and gently introduces some concepts to a much younger crowd than normally sees them (like sets and empty sets).  But IMO there isn't enough practice with any of the concepts to gain automaticity or even mastery of the concepts.  But it is awesome and we would burn out on math with out it.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
When we did LOF Fractions, I also used Key to Fractions workbook set. Its very abstract and my kids didn't get a single thing LOF was trying to teach. I actually could have used just the workbooks and got a better result. Its too abstract for my kiddos.
FallMama
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

We're enjoying LoF quite a bit, and right now I'm using it as a standalone.  My daughter was significantly burnt out on traditional math styles from public school, so I had to go a different route.  We are starting from the beginning and covering things she already knows, as well as learning some new information that she didn't yet.  It's working well, and she's retaining and learning and HAPPY.  For now, we'll keep going as we are.  When we get to more difficult concepts, I plan on supplementing with my own problems and self-made worksheets when necessary.

craftyzenmom
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I used the Fractions book last year as a once week supplement to our patchwork math program. My daughter liked the reading part and kept a math journal to record her work in and doodle. I would not use it alone as I don't think it covered everything as much as I liked. She was struggling with some specific concepts and it worked well in that regard.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
If you are leaning towards lof then go for it. It may be what works right now.
Scribbleprints
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Right now motivation is a huge problem, so if this can help get him motivated to want to try, than it would be worth it.  Thanks everyone!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM
We used math journals and math projects to supplement for a few weeks.
countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I am sorry, I know this is your post asking for people who have used it and their advice, but I am new to homeschooling and haven't heard of Life With Fred.  Could somebody maybe tell me a little about it please?

Scribbleprints
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I haven't used them yet, but from what I've read it's a set of books that tell a story of a 5 year old genious who uses math to solve all sorts of problems (I gather the stories are about the problems and how he solves them with math).   I gather afterwards they have practice problems where you can try the math they teach in the story.  People who've used this...am I missing anything?  Quoting countrygirlkat:

I am sorry, I know this is your post asking for people who have used it and their advice, but I am new to homeschooling and haven't heard of Life With Fred.  Could somebody maybe tell me a little about it please?

countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Thanks!
Quoting Scribbleprints:

I haven't used them yet, but from what I've read it's a set of books that tell a story of a 5 year old genious who uses math to solve all sorts of problems (I gather the stories are about the problems and how he solves them with math).   I gather afterwards they have practice problems where you can try the math they teach in the story.  People who've used this...am I missing anything?  Quoting countrygirlkat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN