Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Feeling guilty. I gave Cole caffeine to see if it would help

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
... Him focus.
I don't usually let the kids have pop or caffeine but I'm seeing if this could help him. I know it's not as drastic as some things, but we have addiction all over the family so I've tried to avoid exposing them to stuff.
Has anyone tried caffeine for the under ten crowd? Know anyone that has? How'd it work?
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I have always let them have coffee on testing days, if they wanted it. It does help Sean (my ADHD blessing) focus. We do not let him have it daily as he has really learned to cope as he has matured. He is 14 & starting high school this year.

If we had stayed with PS, he probably would get coffee or soda daily.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

No guilt!  You'll try it and if it works you'll thank yourself.  If it doesn't work, you'll get the caffeine out of the house for a while and he won't get too addicted.  Seriously not something to beat yourself up about.  I haven't done caffeine for the under 10 crowd, but my ADHD is only 5.  I have no idea what I'll be trying by the time he's 10!  LOL

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Yes, I have tried it! And it has worked, as well as have no effect at all. The one that needed it most, well, let's just say that having a bit of coffee is exactly what was needed! And the upside of this is, he now does not need nor want it.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Yes, my 7 year old has had caffeine. I tried it before he started Focalin and it seemed to help.
BTW have you tried fish oil supplements?
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I gave caffeine to my kids for a few years. Just one six ounce drink a day. I called it the "poor man's Ritalin" not sure if helped but it's worth a try.

Also flex seed oil is supposed to be much like fish oil in how it can help but fish didn't have to be killed for it. I'm veggie so that matters to me and if you were I thought you might like to know.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Yikes! My DS has been drinking coffee just for hoots since he was 7 and all my kids have Dr pepper frequently. I'm probably not going to be any help in this issue. I've never seen the need to restrict it.
Mandallyn
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM
I'm actually going to try that with my ds this year to see if it helps. It ends up being mostly a glass of milk.
oahoah
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Don't feel bad. We experimented with coffee last summer for our then 6/yo but didn't see a difference. I am going to give it another try this year : ) How did it go?

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM

How did it work out?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, I'm still testing it. I think there is a difference but we need to get our schedule down before I will really know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN