Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Seriously, Day 9 leaves me in tears! Help!!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

My husband's new job has him working away for 10 days and then he's off for a 5 day "weekend."  So we thought we would do school while hubby is away to give the boys more time with Daddy.  BUT..... This is our second cycle and again on day 9, I am sitting at the computer bawling my eyes out!!  

It's not exactly anything specific, it's just trying to do the whole school thing for 10 days straight.  Anybody have any suggestions to give us a break without actually taking a day off?  

Some things I've been tossing around:  Doing 5 days full schedule, 2 days half schedule with a fun thing in the afternoon, and then 3 days full schedule.

Or doing 9 days with a day off in the middle and then doing a field trip during the weekend.

State laws:  need to have 180 days or 900 hours of school.  Last year we had 180 days and over 1200 hours, so I do know our days are longer than most.  Any suggestions?

“We don't need a law against McDonald's or a law against slaughterhouse abuse--we ask for too much salvation by legislation. All we need to do is empower individuals with the right philosophy and the right information to opt out en masse.”
― Joel Salatin
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I would definitely look into breaking it up some......I like the idea of the middle break of a field trip in there.

Is it 180 days and 900 hours or 180 days or 900 hours?  Just wondering, if it's or seems like you could probably take a break or two in there and not have to worry about having anything to fill the gap.

countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the idea of the 5 full days and then 2 half days and then 3 full days sounds nice.  It might just give you the break you need.  It couldn't hurt to try it out one set and see how it goes. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Maybe you could do more block scheduling, do certain subjects some days and then others on other days.  That way you aren't doing everything everyday and getting burnt out on it.  Maybe a field trip in the middle of the school cycle would help break things up as well.

Molimomma
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I would definitely put a field trip day in the middle. Especially if you are doing LONG days at home. I get stir crazy being home too many days in a row, I need a change of scenery, even if it just means going out for lunch!

SamuraiQueen
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM

What's your full schedule like? Do you do all subjects everyday?

For us, I grouped subjects together and then staggered them every other day, so we have Group 1 @3 days/week on M-W-F and Group 2 @2 days/week on T-Th (ie: Monday1-Tuesday2-Wednesay1-Thursday2-Friday1), which gives us 5 days of school/week.

If you do this every othe day method, then it could work well with your 10 days of homeschooling schedule. You'll basically do Group 1 for 5 days and Group 2 for 5 days staggered (ie: M1-T2-W1-Th2-F1-Sa2-Su1-M2-T1-W2).

DD also has Gymnastics 2x/week @2 hours each day, so on those 2 days, we do a little less school subject-wise and then do more the other 3 days.

Depending on your curriculum, another thing I do is to combine "intensive" subjects with easier ones (ex: Math, Language Arts, Bible together in Group 1 @2 days/week and then Science, Reading, Social Studies, and Music together in Group 2 @3 days/week). If certain subjects require more of a read-aloud to your child kind of format, then I try to pair that up with a subject that has more independent work or hands-on activity. That way, I'm not reading for hours for every subject, and I can have a bit of a break while DD works on her own. It also breaks the monotony and keeps me from getting overwhelmed.

You could start by figuring out which subjects you can do 2 days/week, 3 days/week, or even everyday if there are a lot of lessons. That way you have an idea which ones you can group together, so you don't burn out. This will, at least, give you some variety everyday. Good luck!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Quoting jwhit8791:

I would definitely look into breaking it up some......I like the idea of the middle break of a field trip in there.

Is it 180 days and 900 hours or 180 days or 900 hours?  Just wondering, if it's or seems like you could probably take a break or two in there and not have to worry about having anything to fill the gap.

The law says OR, so we can either keep track of days or hours.  Last year I kept track of both just out of my own curiosity and this year I was keeping track of both just in case we didn't end up with 180 days before our evaluator's meeting at the end of the year.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I think the idea of the 5 full days and then 2 half days and then 3 full days sounds nice.  It might just give you the break you need.  It couldn't hurt to try it out one set and see how it goes. 

I think that's going to be my next trial.  I just hope it's enough of a break.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Quoting kmath:

Maybe you could do more block scheduling, do certain subjects some days and then others on other days.  That way you aren't doing everything everyday and getting burnt out on it.  Maybe a field trip in the middle of the school cycle would help break things up as well.

We kind of block schedule already.  We have it set up that every single day we do math, reading, phonics, spelling, science, and history.  Every other day we do grammar, writing, geography, and labs.  And twice in the 10 day cycle we do gym, art, music, home-ec, and Spanish.

A field trip without hubby is so intimidating to me.  I might try it, but with my ADHD youngest, I am worried about taking him many places without back-up.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Molimomma:

I would definitely put a field trip day in the middle. Especially if you are doing LONG days at home. I get stir crazy being home too many days in a row, I need a change of scenery, even if it just means going out for lunch!

I am a total Hermit!  LOL I think if I never had to leave I would be okay with that.  Actually I think that might be part of the problem, I am such an introvert that even having my kids around all the time is taxing to me.  I know that sounds so awful, but last year I set aside an hour every other day to be completely by myself.  Teaching all 3 this year, I haven't yet figured out a good time to do it.  The rules last year were that when I went to my room to recharge no one even knocked unless someone was bleeding or something was on fire.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM

We kind of block schedule already.  We have it set up that every single day we do math, reading, phonics, spelling, science, and history.  Every other day we do grammar, writing, geography, and labs.  And twice in the 10 day cycle we do gym, art, music, home-ec, and Spanish. So a typical day is 7 hours (for the kinder it's more like 3 hours with breaks for running around and playing in between).

There are some subjects that IMO just need to be every day (reading, language arts, and math).  The others I do try to break it up so they do science and history every day, but 3 days they do the book work and 2 days they do labs or geography.

When co-ops start, I'll have a bit more variety.  They'll have their art/music co-op so those classes will go away.  They'll have their co-op at the church for gym and homework help.

Quoting SamuraiQueen:

What's your full schedule like? Do you do all subjects everyday?

For us, I grouped subjects together and then staggered them every other day, so we have Group 1 @3 days/week on M-W-F and Group 2 @2 days/week on T-Th (ie: Monday1-Tuesday2-Wednesay1-Thursday2-Friday1), which gives us 5 days of school/week.

If you do this every othe day method, then it could work well with your 10 days of homeschooling schedule. You'll basically do Group 1 for 5 days and Group 2 for 5 days staggered (ie: M1-T2-W1-Th2-F1-Sa2-Su1-M2-T1-W2).

DD also has Gymnastics 2x/week @2 hours each day, so on those 2 days, we do a little less school subject-wise and then do more the other 3 days.

Depending on your curriculum, another thing I do is to combine "intensive" subjects with easier ones (ex: Math, Language Arts, Bible together in Group 1 @2 days/week and then Science, Reading, Social Studies, and Music together in Group 2 @3 days/week). If certain subjects require more of a read-aloud to your child kind of format, then I try to pair that up with a subject that has more independent work or hands-on activity. That way, I'm not reading for hours for every subject, and I can have a bit of a break while DD works on her own. It also breaks the monotony and keeps me from getting overwhelmed.

You could start by figuring out which subjects you can do 2 days/week, 3 days/week, or even everyday if there are a lot of lessons. That way you have an idea which ones you can group together, so you don't burn out. This will, at least, give you some variety everyday. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)