Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hold Off On Reading or....?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:35 AM
  • 7 Replies

One of my children currently struggles with letter name recognition. She knows how to write all the letters and knows what letters go at the beginning of words but she mixes up ones that sound similar (ex: M & N or D & G) or just has a difficult time remembering a few of the names in general. We've been working on it a little bit over the summer and she is getting better but still has a bit of trouble.

Our school year starts Sept. 1st and here is/are my question/s:

If she still is having trouble with the letter names should I hold off on beginning All About Reading (Level 1) with her until she has completely mastered the names with NO mistakes? Or should I begin All About Reading with letter name review mixed in?

Any experience with this particular learning struggle?

Thanks!

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
FallMama
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Does she know her letter sounds?  As long as she can ID the correct sound the letter makes then yes, by all means, shoot for reading.  Mix in review as often as possible.  If your LO cannot yet do the proper sounds for the letters that she mixes up then no, I would not begin reading.  If she is identifying the wrong sounds with the mixed up letters (mmmm sound for N, etc.) then I would keep working until she understands.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My youngest mixes up a few letters and sounds.  We are still beginning reading just more slowly than I normally would.  So we do an hour of reading/phonics.  We only do about 15 minutes of reading now and 45 minutes of phonics, working specifically on the letter sounds that he is having trouble with.  

We  made a game where I take the flashcards of the letters he has trouble with and spread them on the floor.  Then I call out commands and he "stomps on the 'd'", "picks the 'b' over his head", "skips to the 'q'".  He'll practice them for much longer and is learning more than just the letter sounds (following directions, listening skills, coordination).

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Age? If you have any doubts I would wait. Play games to teach the sounds until you feel she is ready. Continue reading to her as much as she will let you. Reading is simply one really hard code. One day it will happen. Make it fun,game based, and relaxed and she will take off.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Silly as it is, the leapfrog Letter Factory and Word Factory DVDs made it click for DD. Hours, weeks, months of letter work and after a few viewings of Letter Factory...it clicked! I still cringe..LMAO

I konw AAR is based on the AAS method, since review of all letters/name and sounds is part of the curriculum, I would say you could start it and move slowly. I LOVE AAS but we already had reading down prety well when we started it so I don't have any experience with AAR.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I had a similar problem as a child, because of a very hard to detect cookie bite hearing loss.  For me F and S sound the same (m and n sound the same), unless I am looking at your lips, or figure it out from the content of the sentence.  I was in my 30's before it discovered that I had a cookie bite hearing loss.

Kinds of Hearing Loss

If she looks at your lips instead of your eyes when you are talking to her, that is an indication of a hearing loss.  Also if she does not seem to hear you at times when you are not facing her, that too is an indication. 

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Are you kidding?  I swear by those DVD's!!!  My DD was pre-reading by 2 because of the letter factory.  She starting reading at 3 because of Word Factory.  I would also add that Pre-School Prep also has one (not as good) and they have one for sight words....not great but did help a lot. 

Make it fun and she will want to learn.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Silly as it is, the leapfrog Letter Factory and Word Factory DVDs made it click for DD. Hours, weeks, months of letter work and after a few viewings of Letter Factory...it clicked! I still cringe..LMAO

I konw AAR is based on the AAS method, since review of all letters/name and sounds is part of the curriculum, I would say you could start it and move slowly. I LOVE AAS but we already had reading down prety well when we started it so I don't have any experience with AAR.

SuckIt69
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump for later. Having the same issue. Please like my comment so I'll remember. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN