Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son had chosen to use Mathematical Reasoning for math this year (6th grade). We had gotten it for his younger sister and he liked it. Now that he is using it he absolutely hates it. He now wants more of a textbook and workbook set up like his science (Glencoe). Any recommendations? I am trying to not spend more that $75 on it since we had already bought math for him. But I can't force him to work through a book he doesn't like. 

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Replies (11-12):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Mathematical Reasoning has that kind of rep - fantastic in the primary grades, but less than great in the upper grades.

CLE Math (use the placement test; this is a rigorous program and it isn't abnormal for a child to place a grade lower than their actual grade). Very affordable.

My next favorite would be Horizons math - it's colorful, rigorous, etc. Again, use the placement test.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM
I also suggest Math U See. They do have placement tests. I can't remember where I found them though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)