Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone else have a social/conversational learner?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM
  • 2 Replies

My kiddo is definately a social/conversational learner.  He likes to "talk" t the characters in his story book in stead of "reading" their story.  He does better "playing school" with stuffed animals than actually doing school (that has to do with some fear issues too...easier if the stuffed animal he's talking through gets the answer wrong than if HE gets the answer wrong, if that makes sense).  He can be motivated to do stuff by having a stuffed animal or puppet help him.   And he hates working idependantly.

Getting him to practice writing letters has been horrible...but yesterday he did a workbook page with NO TEARS.  How?  Well, he was supposed to say the word and write the letter it started with next to it.  I noticed the pictures were personifies (the ball, peanut, ect. had little smily faces on them), so I made them talk to him.  "Hi, my name is ball.  Can you write the letter of my first name?"  All of a sudden he wasn't fussing anymore and was enjoying writing down the letters.

Learning games seem to be good too...but not always.  He's really sensitive to loosing and doesn't like really competitive things.  More colaborative things or things where everyone wins.

Anyone else have a learner like this?  Any other suggestions, or activities, resources, curriculums etc. that you've used that your social learner has really responded well to?  

It's funny, but you think public school would have been good for my social learner, but it was horrible.  It's putting him around a whole bunch of people and most of the day saying "You can't talk to them."  No wonder he hated it!

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I was a social learner.  But Whole Brain Teaching teaches to all the learning styles, and even improves the health of the brain.    Here is an Article about Whole Brain Teaching on the Florida Parent Educators Association website. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
That sounds like learning through play and most children do learn best this way. The school system has convinced us that learning must take place in a formal academic method, and being silly is not tolerated. They killed childhood, lol. But don't be surprised if he continues to learn this way for quite some time. More serious, formal learning usually takes over by 5th or 6th grafe, as they mature.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)