Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT-Camping trip?! help!'**UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

We are taking our kids camping, two nights.  We have no plans whatsoever except the area we are heading to and that we will bring a tent.  I have lists for the kids to pack bags, we haven't told them anything except we are going "on an adventure" lol.  I am a planner.  I feel like I need to plan.  We haven't taken a 'vacation' in 7 years with the kids.  They are 11 and 12.  I am excited for this 'adventure' but really anxious about the no planning part.  This was DH's condition and he never wants to go away so I am just excited we are doing this.  So I am ok with the no planning on where we are going to stay or what we will do.

However, I haven't been camping since I was a kid.  So if you have any tips/ideas/musts for camping with middle school aged kids-please share!  We will have no showers, probably no bathrooms.  I know we will need to pay for the site and we will have to buy wood around the area for fire wood.  I have a short list of what I think we need, but I am bound to not know something and/or forget something.  So please share anything you have to share!

UPDATE: We went! Overall, it was a really good experience and we will do it again.

The first night it rained, the morning was cold and wet and pretty miserable.  All night was rough.  We packed up the campsite and tried to do some other things but since it was so awful out, there wasn't much to do.  (This was north of where we live, in the mountains).  So we decided to head south, out of the rain/cloudiness.  The second night was 10x better.  We had a nice fire, it was fairly warm, running water, flushing toilets....it was enjoyable.  The worst part was that the second campsite had a two night minimum and we could only stay one night...so that was an expense we didn't plan for, but it worked out.  We had a great second night and second morning.    Which has encouraged us to want to do it again.  I am glad we moved south because if we had spent a second night where we were, I don't think I ever would have gone again!  But we really had a good time.  We overpacked, but it was better to have extras than not enough.  We learned some lessons, and next time I think we will have a great time :)  Thank for all of the ideas and well wishes!

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Replies (11-15):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Ugh. I despise camping. Just popped in to say good luck. Lol!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
You didnt say when..so if you are not out enjoyinf the wild yet...

Yard games, things everyone can play. Frisbee, kites, balls n mitts, etc.

Stay hydrated! Water bottles or backpacks with hydration packs (camelbacks) are a must.

If you dont have these, I wouldnt buy them for one trip but it is called a "pie iron" it is like mineature cast iron pans, the size and shape of a piece of bread on long rodes for roasting. You butter bread, like for a grilled cheese, lay butter toward the pan and top with fruit compote, or you can make pocket pizzas or lots of things with them.
collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
No plans drives me nuts!

I would research the area for ideas anyways - there may be things like a creek to swim in, a nature center to visit, etc
Ecoseem
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Ds and I are also avid campers, and one big thing that I have learned:  take lots of snacks.  Often I don't feel like cooking after a day of hiking or whatever, and having plenty of fruits, veggies and other things on hand is wonderful. 

I second the baby wipes- these are an essential.

Plastic bags- good for packing out trash, gathering found treasures, and keeping things sort of dry.

Be open!  There will always be problems, or something you've forgetten (bring a can opener, btw) and being upset over it can ruin the trip.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting AutymsMommy:

Ugh. I despise camping. Just popped in to say good luck. Lol!

I'm laughing so hard right now because when I saw you replied to this post I knew it was going to say something like this!

We went, it poured the first night, it was cold, wet, and miserable.  But the second night was very enjoyable and I think we will do it again :)  Not my favorite thing ever, but it was kind of fun and the kids enjoyed it and DH was really in his element, so it was worth it....I say this with one leg barely working, a very sore back, and an almost empty bank account lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)