Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

first time teacher

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi Lady's I'm in a huge vine I feel like I have been taken in circles trying to find a website where I can get my Kindergarden child's curriculum I'm so lost and I need to start ASAP please help! Thanks 

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Annastacialynn
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

do you want a curriculum that is already put together, or are you trying to put your own together? If you are looking to put your own together, you could look up the typical course of study on world book and it will tell you what kindergarten through 12th graders need to know in each grade. (google "typical course of study" and it will pop up - should be the first one). I'm not sure about any websites that have a curriculum for you already. We get our curriculum (in books form) from christian liberty press and we have loved everything but their science books. I hope this helps you some! :)

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I think easypeasy is a full K curriculum, but you may need to supplement things.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends on whether you want secular or christian, traditional textbooks or Charlotte Mason, box set or eclectic. Narrow down your needs. There's too much to choose from to really give good recommendations without knowing specifics.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:45 AM
2 moms liked this

The ladies are right. It can be very overwhelming when you start!  I can tell you what I used last year for my daughter for kindergarten but honestly it wasn't much and I didn't have any state laws to follow. I used Logic of English to teach reading and writing. I also used the Math U See primer for math. That was it. Science and history we would sometimes do little experiments or lapbooks but for kindergarten I only focused on reading, writing, and math. The first thing that helped me was to figure out my daughter's learning style. Then I found curriculum that taught in that style and was at the level my dd needed. I build my own by picking and choosing but there are tons of box curriculums to choose from too.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Kindy is really the year not to spend much. Last year my then kindy did:

A calendar board and notebook we created based on pinterest.

Letter of the week curric and worksheets found online or dollar store.

Practice writing letters.

Free games/activities online.

Watched very old math u see video we bought for $4.00 at curric resale. She just watched the videos and played with counting objects with no direction.

I did pay for about 6 months of time4learning.com because her older sibs had done it before and she wanted to.

Oh, and she sorta listened in on the older kids' anatomy lessons as interested.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Welcome to the group! I have one child in kindergarten this year, and we use the following:

Mathematics: CLE Math 1, Miquon

Phonics: Primary Art of Language Reading, Little Angel Readers

Handwriting: Abeka Cursive K, Seton Handwriting K for Young Catholics

Writing: Primary Art of Language Writing (second semester)

Literature/religion: Catholic Mosaic

Memory Work/recitation: Memoria Press' Junior K Recitation

History/Social Studies: Literature based, lapbooks

Science: Physics - literature based, lapbooks

Art Appreciation: Memoria Press' Art Cards

I make my own lesson plans for my 7th grader, but all of the kindergarten materials I use are pretty open and go.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lilhappyfam
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

what do you mean te village? some people homeschool so they don't vaccinate but you still did? just curious no judgement we are too catholic sounds like you are very organized thanks for the advice

mollymcleod
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is going to be homeschooled for kindergarten this year too. I've decided to focus on reading, writing, and math. I also want to cover weather identification, calendar stuff, and time. I also want to do some art crafts and learn about animals since he is very interested in animals. I was thinking zoo trips once a week.
lilhappyfam
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:59 PM

you all have been so helpfull I was over stressing Im so glad to hear how you all are doing it and have made it so much easier for me 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)