Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting cold feet... *understatement*

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

I took my oldest, a Junior this year, to dual-enroll at the community college and we got his paperwork and he seemed fine. We have been talking about this since early in the year...like April, I brought it up with him and got things rolling with the charter school. They will pay for it.

I brOUGHT it up to him last night that COLLEGE starts MONDAY and he MUST get his assesments done and get enrolled, and he FLIPPED OUT! He says "I didn't know "going to college" meant GOING to college. I thought I could do it online. Umm...I NEVER discussed him doing it online. It was alwas "take college classes, go to college, etc."

I figured as he matured, it wouldn' be an issue getting him back into a classroom. He had been bullied and beat up in PS through the 3rd grade. Since then, he took a couple on campus classes his Freshman and sophmore years, through our charter school and DID GREAT... got along with the kids FINE. He does great at boy Scouts and other extracurriculars.

Not sure WHAT to do about him. How far do I push? Academically, he is more than ready. Mentally??

When I was in college, I broke my back riding horses (similar to Christopher Reeves but without permanent injury) but had to withdraw from my English course. I am thinking of offering to go with him to class, but totally ignore him (LMAO) and sit elsewhere so that I am there and know how to help him and we can work somewhat together at home. Do you think that is a good plan?

Or should I let him wait a year? Which I do NOT think wil lbe the answer

Or press him and make him try it? We can always drop and get a refund in the first month.

Edited for typos..OMG!! LOL

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
drinkme8184
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM
How old is he? Can he do half his classes online and half in school? I wouldn't actually go to any.of his classes with him though. It sounds like he just needs a push. o
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM

He is 16yo with a January birthday. He has had some issues and is in therapy and the psychologist says he has PTSD from being beat up in 1st-3rd grades in the public school.

He would have his regular classes from the Charter school that I choose for him and he does at home. He would go to the college for 1-2 classes (English and College Algebra).

He just really needs to see that college is not anything like elementary school. College kids, for the most part aren't worried about anyone else than themselves and they would leave him alone.

Quoting drinkme8184: How old is he? Can he do half his classes online and half in school? I wouldn't actually go to any.of his classes with him though. It sounds like he just needs a push. o

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM

With my daughter, I would be on campus for her, but not in the classes. After she got used to how the classes and everything worked, I'd go do errands while she was at class.  Maybe try that with your son and see if he feels a bit better?  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM
4 moms liked this
*update* DS will go for one class. I am not going with him. Yeah!

He said, why rush it?...my response, Why wait? ... He thought aboit our discussion and decided it would he a waste of time to go through another high school class when he can get credit.
mollymcleod
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad he changed his mind. I wish you both luck.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Yikes! I'm glad it's worked out.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM

How have classes been going for him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN