Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Moving...Help Understanding Other State Laws...

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok so my boys and I will be meeting up with their father within the next year in either North Dakota or Montana...not sure which state yet...

I know that Montana is a little more lax in that they dont really require much just parents saying hey this is what we are doing and thats it...

So are there any moms from either state that could help me? Im so overwhelmed right now and i want to get the state best suited for homeschooling (and well more unschooling) pinned down so we can tell daddy this is where we want to go...

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tntmom1027
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I'm living in WA but grew up in MT and my mother still lives there(along with the rest of my family) so we spend a lot of time there. I know that all you have to do is declare that you are homeschooling and you are supposed to cover the main subjects and have about 180 days but you don't have to turn anything in to the state. 

I'm not sure about North Dakota laws but here is a link for you. http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t15-1c23.pdf?20140815163127

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I.  North Dakota has two home school associations that provide information concerning their State laws

North Dakota Home School Association  (Laws)  North Dakota Home School Association Support Groups

Homeschooling In North Dakota (laws)   Homeschooling In North Dakota Support Groups

II.  As for Montana, I found one home school association

Montana Home School Laws   

Montana Support Groups & more on page 13 of this file

Nicolle_09
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM

so you dont have to really prove what you are teaching in MT? you just really need to say that this is what we are doing

Quoting tntmom1027:

I'm living in WA but grew up in MT and my mother still lives there(along with the rest of my family) so we spend a lot of time there. I know that all you have to do is declare that you are homeschooling and you are supposed to cover the main subjects and have about 180 days but you don't have to turn anything in to the state. 

I'm not sure about North Dakota laws but here is a link for you. http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t15-1c23.pdf?20140815163127

sweetserenit292
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I live in Montana and the state is very homeschool friendly.    North Dakota has a lot more requirements. 

In Montana, you do not have to register until a child turns 7.   Once the child turns 7 you must submit your intent to homeschool form to the superintendent along with a copy of vaccinations or exemption from vaccinations.  That's it.   You must keep a log of attendance and hours / days you homeschooled but you do not turn them in unless they are requested.  You must teach the basics reading, writing, math etc and there are no requirements for standarized testing.

In North Dakota, they have a whole bunch of regulations from what I read on the HSLDA's website.....right down to homeschooling a child with a learning disability or special needs.  They are more content specific in what you must cover and they do require standarized testing.   If you do not have a GED or H.S. diploma then a certified teacher will need to oversee what you are doing.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:12 PM
We almost moved to MT. Still might. All depends on our business, the demographics and availability of housing.
Nicolle_09
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this

we have officially decided to move to Montana...its been one of my dream states to move too and finding out they are so homeschool friendly only helps me love it more...

Quoting kirbymom: We almost moved to MT. Still might. All depends on our business, the demographics and availability of housing.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Homeschooling was a big draw for us too.  Plus, I like the open space Montana offers.  More so now as we are smack dab in the middle of Buffalo New York. I much prefer less people and more space.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

we have officially decided to move to Montana...its been one of my dream states to move too and finding out they are so homeschool friendly only helps me love it more...

Quoting kirbymom: We almost moved to MT. Still might. All depends on our business, the demographics and availability of housing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN