Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

In search of an online schooling for K and 3rd!

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM
  • 3 Replies

Help!

I am searching for a user friendly online homeschooling program for kindergarten and 3rd grade. I previously used Time4learning, I'd like to try a different program.

I am not a teacher so an online schooling that has set lesson plans to choose from and assign to my kids would be great! I am open to all suggestions. I am having no luck with all my research online...

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommy2cristian
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM

LOL.  I'm responding because I have a K and a 3rd grader too.  I'm doing research but am wondering if I could use EasyPeasy for my lesson plans.  I was thinking of online schooling, but in addition to being required to daily check in and such I also don't have very reliable internet through Verizon, which is my only option.  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Most of the moms here who have tried virtual public schools like K12, or Connections, have NOT had good experiences there, so I'm not sure you'll have the best of luck in that arena.

T4L is, in my opinion, supplemental - not a comprehensive standalone.

Of course you have the private options, but they DO require you help teach your child - you aren't going to find a homeschool program that teaches your kids for you (if that's what you desire, you should possibly look into brick and mortar school). Most of us do not have teaching degrees, but still homeschool eclectically, or as the primary teacher using a boxed program. If you do want to teach your kids yourself, but desire lesson plans written for you, you have a ton of options (all cost quite a chunk of change, though, so keep that in mind):

Protestant All-in-One Programs:

Abeka

BJU

Switched on School House

(not familiar with those myself, as we aren't protestant)

Secular:

Calvert

Oak Meadow

Catholic:

Seton

Kolbe Academy

Catholic Heritage Curriculum

Anglicum Academy

St. Thomas Aquinas

Our Lady of the Rosary Homeschool

All of the aforementioned programs require you teach your child the content (although the protestant programs, I think, do also have DVD programs for some of their subjects), but all also come with lesson plans written for your ease of use. All also cost between $400-$3,000 per year, per child. None of them are, to the best of my knowledge, entirely online.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mommy2cristian
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I did want to add (not sure an option for you, but I think I get where you're coming from as I do find it intimidating doing this on my on) another option might be a Charter school.  We did that.  They provide you with the materials and lesson plans for the month.  They also have field trips and once a week hourly classes for each grade if you choose to attend, possibly a language class (my son had Spanish), a musical class as well your child can attend.  Of course I had to teach him the material, but it might be an option for you.  You can check online for your area or I think I found ours through calling the district.  I think it's very similar to homeschool in the sense that you set your own schedule and hours and be as flexible as you want.  

I liked it but was thinking an online school would be able to help me when I falter, but I don't want Big Brother watching or requiring things because that's like my son still being in school.  I don't want to have to answer for him being sick or us wanting a Family day when his dad's off, etc.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN