Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

this is hard!

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm startnig out this school year feeling like a single mom with no support. I just want to escape and cry :( My husband is working ridiculously long hours until december. That means I have no breaks at all until sundays (he works saturdays right now too).  Thankfully it has given us a bit more cash in our pockets since they changed him to hourly, but I rather have him home! Maybe I need to hire a babysitter some days? I am so tired. I love my kids, but I am so tired! I hate looking forward to the being asleep, but then I am too tired to do anything. I feel like I am not mentally here during the day and my mind is trying to plan this school year and plan the day.  I want to be present and enjoy them, but I feel like I can't right now. I mean my baby girl is so cute playing at my feet right now......but I am still so sad and crying. It certainly doesn't help that they are growing up so fast either. sigh.......sorry I just needed to vent. Hopefully tomorrow I will feel more here and energetic. Thankis for listening.

Just a little update :)

Yesterday went pretty good. WE had a rough start, my son was very angry and upset, but we went to a pool party and he snapped out of it, thankfully! Then wehn I put everyone to bed we had some special cuddle time. DH came home and we talked and cuddled too. Dh also wrote on my facebook wall "Im so lucky to have an amazing supportive and wonderful wife. I love my Precious. Thanks for understanding the crazy hours and being a single mom right now. I know its hard and your doing great. You're by far my favorite first wife. Love you baby! " I feel so blessed. :) Now off to Las Vegas! :)

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Been there...welcome to my life. Even when DH is home he is very shut off and uninvolved. Luckily, as my kids have gotten older it gets easier.

Your idea to get a sitter or mother's helper is a good one. That or some good girlfriends who can come over and hang with you in the insanity :) I had a coupme friends I would walk with, load the kids in the stroller, grab the dog n cause trouble all around town ;)

Can you enforce a mandatory quiet time or nap time in the afternoon? To get some quiet ajd down time?
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
You need a mommy day! Get yourself a babysitter and take a break.
Molimomma
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH did 6-7 days a week for the last 2 years(12-14 hour days too) and I almost didn't make it. It's really, REALLY hard. He just got switched to a different schedule in April and now has weekends off(woot woot!) but honestly after those 2 years it's almost hard having him home every weekend and considering that when scheduling things and making plans. I totally understand the exhaustion it is mental, physical AND emotional. Everyone needs a break. Hang in there momma. Remember to breathe and when you really can't take it it it is not a failure to throw up a white flag and say you must get some relief so you don't lose your mind! Take a day off. Heck sometimes I call 20 minute quiet time and that's enough. Everyone goes potty, gets their snack requests in, gets settled doing whatever and unless there is fire or blood do not bug mommy period. If you need something that you didn't ask for prior to that 20 minutes it will have to wait! This alone has saved me on a bad week. Hugs to you!

oahoah
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't feel bad for needing time to yourself, it is really important. Yes, hire a good babysitter and go out once a week if you can or every other week if that's not in your budget. Also outings during the day are what help me when we are having a rough week, we will meet up with other homeschool families and the kids can play together while the moms talk and it is suprisingly refreshing.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I tried to put on a show to have some quiet time....didnt work, it was not very quiet.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Been there...welcome to my life. Even when DH is home he is very shut off and uninvolved. Luckily, as my kids have gotten older it gets easier.

Your idea to get a sitter or mother's helper is a good one. That or some good girlfriends who can come over and hang with you in the insanity :) I had a coupme friends I would walk with, load the kids in the stroller, grab the dog n cause trouble all around town ;)

Can you enforce a mandatory quiet time or nap time in the afternoon? To get some quiet ajd down time?
Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM
I need to figure out how to do quiet time in a tiny house

Quoting Molimomma:

My DH did 6-7 days a week for the last 2 years(12-14 hour days too) and I almost didn't make it. It's really, REALLY hard. He just got switched to a different schedule in April and now has weekends off(woot woot!) but honestly after those 2 years it's almost hard having him home every weekend and considering that when scheduling things and making plans. I totally understand the exhaustion it is mental, physical AND emotional. Everyone needs a break. Hang in there momma. Remember to breathe and when you really can't take it it it is not a failure to throw up a white flag and say you must get some relief so you don't lose your mind! Take a day off. Heck sometimes I call 20 minute quiet time and that's enough. Everyone goes potty, gets their snack requests in, gets settled doing whatever and unless there is fire or blood do not bug mommy period. If you need something that you didn't ask for prior to that 20 minutes it will have to wait! This alone has saved me on a bad week. Hugs to you!

Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM
I think I had too many days of isolation. Thankfully i saw a friend and was able to brainstorm.with her tonight.

Quoting oahoah:

Don't feel bad for needing time to yourself, it is really important. Yes, hire a good babysitter and go out once a week if you can or every other week if that's not in your budget. Also outings during the day are what help me when we are having a rough week, we will meet up with other homeschool families and the kids can play together while the moms talk and it is suprisingly refreshing.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Quiet time takes training and work to achieve. It isnt going to work well until it is a well oiled machine. Same with an earlier bed time.

Im with my kids the same way and have also run daycare while still doing all this. For three yrs I got my earliest daycare kids at 4:45. Put them on the bus and then homeschooled two until 1 when I got another toddler,then got the other daycare kids off the bus. Kept the latest one a few days a week until 11 or midnight. Got up...redo.

I did 100% of the schooling, cleaning, cooking, shopping, daycare, and managed our own three.

He worked a full time job and a part time job. I did everything else.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:33 AM
2 moms liked this

*hugs* Last year was our first year of homeschooling and my husband was deployed for it. I remember how exhausted I was. It was kindergarten though, luckily, so we just took breaks whever I needed it even a week or two at a time. The idea of a sitter is a great idea! Even if you just slept while they were watched.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
We are downsizing soon to a smaller house. The idea of pulling off quiet time in a smaller space sometimes sounds intimidaintimidating.
((hugs)) I hope you figure out what works for you guys and you get a break.

Quoting Precious333: I need to figure out how to do quiet time in a tiny house

Quoting Molimomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)