Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help with planning.

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hello, I need advice about planning for next year. School will begin August 27. I got Destinay a membership at Brainpop which has a lot of information. I have some textbooks, and a ton of worksheets. I have a lot of unit studies that I can print out off my iPad. I have a lot of educational apps on it also. I just never really planned before and would like advice on starting off. I also have the Old Schoolhouse planner 2014-2015 so I can write it all down. One more question, I do want to plan, but I also want to leave room just in case she is having issues with it, how would I do that? Well thank you all for advice, have a good day.
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Hi! :)
You can plan by deciding what subjects you want to start with first or what subjects need to go first. You can decide when you want to start school to how long you want school to take. Have you made any written plans yet? Even tentatively?
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You may want to put her more difficult subjects in the part of the day where she is more "focused".  Some kids are morning people and do will in the am.  Some are more focused in the afternoon.  Take your time and try to figure out what is going to work best for her.  My girls do better first thing in the morning.....except momma isn't really raring to go until about 10.  I leave their indpendent work for them to do while I'm getting my bearings.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
The subjects I have to teach are Reading, Writing, Civics, Math, History of Rhode Island, Geography, US history, Principles of American Government, Health and Gym. I didn't write anything down yet. I printed out what Brainpop has to offer for 6th grade, I didn't realize how much they had. For Gym I want to do some form of exercise and playing actively outside. I just have a lot of info and I'm struggling about what to do when. I know in October I want to teach about Christopher Columbus, in November I want to do a unit study on Thanksgiving, in December I want to do some unschooling and a Christmas unit study. Nothing is set in stone yet. Oh and sometime during the school year I want to do a unit study about Rhode Island.

Quoting kirbymom: Hi! :)
You can plan by deciding what subjects you want to start with first or what subjects need to go first. You can decide when you want to start school to how long you want school to take. Have you made any written plans yet? Even tentatively?
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Thank you for the idea Destinay is more focused around 10 am, just like you.

Quoting coala:

You may want to put her more difficult subjects in the part of the day where she is more "focused".  Some kids are morning people and do will in the am.  Some are more focused in the afternoon.  Take your time and try to figure out what is going to work best for her.  My girls do better first thing in the morning.....except momma isn't really raring to go until about 10.  I leave their indpendent work for them to do while I'm getting my bearings.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM
You have some great ideas already. Now you just need to remember to breathe and realize that you do not have to homeschool "by the book". Unless you want to. Do what works, what fits you and your family. And always remember that you are not alone. We are here if you need us. :)

Quoting Mommynay2: The subjects I have to teach are Reading, Writing, Civics, Math, History of Rhode Island, Geography, US history, Principles of American Government, Health and Gym. I didn't write anything down yet. I printed out what Brainpop has to offer for 6th grade, I didn't realize how much they had. For Gym I want to do some form of exercise and playing actively outside. I just have a lot of info and I'm struggling about what to do when. I know in October I want to teach about Christopher Columbus, in November I want to do a unit study on Thanksgiving, in December I want to do some unschooling and a Christmas unit study. Nothing is set in stone yet. Oh and sometime during the school year I want to do a unit study about Rhode Island.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
You are right, sometimes I get a little misguided about the difference between homeschool and public school at home. I homeschooled Destinay last year and the year before, and there were so many things that happened that we didn't focus on academics as much as I liked to. See my Dad found out he had cancer December 2, 2013. In February was when he got really sick and Destinay and I went over there practically daily, so it was hard to focus on academics when we went over there. Then April 7, 2014 he died. After that I needed to help Ma with getting things settled. Finally in May we were able to do academics but we mostly tried to make up for lost time and that was difficult. Now for this year coming I want to have a plan. This way I know what we need to work on.

Quoting kirbymom: You have some great ideas already. Now you just need to remember to breathe and realize that you do not have to homeschool "by the book". Unless you want to. Do what works, what fits you and your family. And always remember that you are not alone. We are here if you need us. :)

Quoting Mommynay2: The subjects I have to teach are Reading, Writing, Civics, Math, History of Rhode Island, Geography, US history, Principles of American Government, Health and Gym. I didn't write anything down yet. I printed out what Brainpop has to offer for 6th grade, I didn't realize how much they had. For Gym I want to do some form of exercise and playing actively outside. I just have a lot of info and I'm struggling about what to do when. I know in October I want to teach about Christopher Columbus, in November I want to do a unit study on Thanksgiving, in December I want to do some unschooling and a Christmas unit study. Nothing is set in stone yet. Oh and sometime during the school year I want to do a unit study about Rhode Island.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Oh my! I am sorry for you and your family's loss. I shall keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
I can certainly understand your desire for planning. I think you'll find that a plan will work some of the time and sometimes not work. Both ways may suit your needs of the moment. Play it by ear. Remember that you can take time for those moments when the brain needs a rest just as much as the body. Start out with a pace that seems most comfortable to you and speed up or slow down as is needed. Just take one day at a time. You can do this.

Quoting Mommynay2: You are right, sometimes I get a little misguided about the difference between homeschool and public school at home. I homeschooled Destinay last year and the year before, and there were so many things that happened that we didn't focus on academics as much as I liked to. See my Dad found out he had cancer December 2, 2013. In February was when he got really sick and Destinay and I went over there practically daily, so it was hard to focus on academics when we went over there. Then April 7, 2014 he died. After that I needed to help Ma with getting things settled. Finally in May we were able to do academics but we mostly tried to make up for lost time and that was difficult. Now for this year coming I want to have a plan. This way I know what we need to work on.

Quoting kirbymom: You have some great ideas already. Now you just need to remember to breathe and realize that you do not have to homeschool "by the book". Unless you want to. Do what works, what fits you and your family. And always remember that you are not alone. We are here if you need us. :)

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I only plan a couple of weeks, a month out, at most. We may go faster or slower than I anticipate, so I find that planning farther than that out only messes me up (and thus wastes time).

melindabelcher
by Mel on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I like the planner to use to keep track along the way of what we did do vs what we plan to do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)