Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

High school

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm so nervous about dong high school.  I can't find curricula that will fit.  History, science, literature and comp, math, and electives.  She needs structure or nothing gets done.  I need things that are some what put together.  I can not write my own lessons, I've tried over the past three years.  I'm so lost on high school I've even thought about putting her in a virtual school, though doing that I feel I've failed.   ~sigh~

My daughter is christian but not a creationist.  I am pagan so prefer secular. 

by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Are you willing to budge at all on the secular curriculum? Unless you have about 1K to throw down on something like Oak Meadow, you might consider a Catholic program like Kolbe, or Seton - they come with lesson plans, written to the student at the high school level, and while Catholic - they are NOT young earth creationist (unless you choose the Apologia option for Seton, but you don't have to). They provide transcripts and teacher support with the fees, and the fees are all inclusive (includes all books).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I'm willing to use what will work best for my daughter.

Kolbe looks good for English, and Science.  I"m not sure about Literature and History.  Seton looks good but not as good as Kolbe.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Are you willing to budge at all on the secular curriculum? Unless you have about 1K to throw down on something like Oak Meadow, you might consider a Catholic program like Kolbe, or Seton - they come with lesson plans, written to the student at the high school level, and while Catholic - they are NOT young earth creationist (unless you choose the Apologia option for Seton, but you don't have to). They provide transcripts and teacher support with the fees, and the fees are all inclusive (includes all books).

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Their literature is actually top notch - I know a ton of secular homeschoolers who order ONLY their literature program. You pick which books for each year that you use - you do not use them all. It's guided literature analysis in high school.

You can sub out the history. They DO require that she take their religion, but at her age you can go through it with her, if you want, and teach her how to look at it.

They will allow substitutions. And they will still transcript your substitutions for you. If you only subbed out history, it would still make an easier year for you.

Quoting Silverkitty:

I'm willing to use what will work best for my daughter.

Kolbe looks good for English, and Science.  I"m not sure about Literature and History.  Seton looks good but not as good as Kolbe.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Kolbe literature or Seton?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Their literature is actually top notch - I know a ton of secular homeschoolers who order ONLY their literature program. You pick which books for each year that you use - you do not use them all. It's guided literature analysis in high school.

You can sub out the history. They DO require that she take their religion, but at her age you can go through it with her, if you want, and teach her how to look at it.

They will allow substitutions. And they will still transcript your substitutions for you. If you only subbed out history, it would still make an easier year for you.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM
kolbe

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM

You can choose which books to use for the literature?  I'll have to go look at that again.  Thank you very much for helping me.  

Quoting AutymsMommy: kolbe
Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Yep. You choose what books you use and when, from their high school lit list, from what I understand (same in the junior high lit list).

Quoting Silverkitty:

You can choose which books to use for the literature?  I'll have to go look at that again.  Thank you very much for helping me.  

Quoting AutymsMommy: kolbe
Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

MamaToHerRoo
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:41 AM

We are using Time4Learning high school for my daughter's 9th grade year.  It is entirely online, secular, low monthly cost. I like that we get to choose what four courses to do at a time. They have 5 math, 5 science, 5 social studies and 4 English, plus health and economics as electives.  If your child is on a path that she doesn't need 5 of the math,science,social studies, she could use the other as electives.  We supplement foreign language, music, art, PE.  We've used T4L for elementary and middle school.  It is child paced, interactive, lessons all planned out, records kept.  My daughter loves it, I love it, it is reasonably priced.  Oh, and no contract.  If you try it and your daughter likes it, keep going, if not just don't renew, that way you don't have a huge financial obligation for something that might or might not work.I'm pretty sure that  you will know within a month if it will work for your daughter.  Hope you find what you are looking for, and happy homeschooling!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN