Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How important are Co-Ops?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM
  • 20 Replies

How important are co-ops and being involved in them?

This is my first full year of homeschooling my two girls (last year we only homeschooled for the final three weeks of school) and I was hoping to get them involved in the local co-op here...but after seeing what the co-op offers as far as the classes and activities...it just doesn't seem like it'd be very interesting and/or fun for the girls.

They will be involved in fall soccer and winter basketball and then cheerleading in the spring/next summer) so they will have plenty of opportunities to make friends (I hope)...other than the social aspect of Co-Ops, how important is it for homeschooling kids to be involved?

What is your experience with co-ops?

by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I could give or take co-ops.  I like them for the social aspect for mom and kids, and the classes.  I don't want all the drama and such that can happen.  So they are as important as you want them to be.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Important? Probably not so much. You guys seem to be active in other things so you know they are making friends. It just really depends on what you want out of it. We have done 2 years and loved every minute of it. We were also involved with football and cheerleading at the time so it was a bit of a stretch to get everything done but once we were finished with the classes and football we were able to catch back up. For us it was also helpful getting some family members who were not so sure about homeschooling to begin with a chance to get involved and warm up to the idea. If you see any classes your kids would like you could always do a class. Im sure other moms would be greatful for it.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Very important for us. It depends on what is in your area and your needs. They have helped me be a better Homeschooler. I think local support groups are very helpful. My kids give oral presentations on many different topics. It is a great skill to have. They love all their teachers. I have so many awesome people to connect with locally. You can homeschool without them but I found it much harder. Online is great but it is no comparison to local groups and co-ops. I also run a co-op. So many benefits both socially and academically. I think it is important for kids to connect with other homeschoolers. I would say though it is helpful but not necessary. Honestly if there wasn't one then I would start one. Group learning is very fun and educational.
BellaRose17
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I really wanted to be involved in a co-op. I'm just frustrated that the activities and classes offered in this one are so lack luster and uninteresting/unimaginative. I wish I could have been on the planning committee. :P

Quoting jen2150: Very important for us. It depends on what is in your area and your needs. They have helped me be a better Homeschooler. I think local support groups are very helpful. My kids give oral presentations on many different topics. It is a great skill to have. They love all their teachers. I have so many awesome people to connect with locally. You can homeschool without them but I found it much harder. Online is great but it is no comparison to local groups and co-ops. I also run a co-op. So many benefits both socially and academically. I think it is important for kids to connect with other homeschoolers. I would say though it is helpful but not necessary. Honestly if there wasn't one then I would start one. Group learning is very fun and educational.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM
I have never utilized a co-op since there really weren't any but I suppose they are as important as you want or need them to be. I usef to worry about this both academically and socially but found I needn't worry as my kids all handle social situations better than I do.
sweetfox3
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I have not utilized the co-ops--either the times they meet won't work for us due to other commitments, my kids are not interested in the class, or they are too damn expensive and too far away.  Honestly, in a lot of cases, it seems to be the third and fourth option:  if the time would work and my kids would be interested, then either we'd have to drive 100 miles or so one way and/or it would be priced out of our budget (a lot of upper middle class and upper class families here homeschool).  We do take classes that are not necessarily geared to home schoolers through the local parks and rec, though.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM

It also depends on the child. My youngest NEEDS the friends and interaction she gets at co-op. She is VERY social and having a different adult work with her is great. She goes one day a week. They choose two morning electives  and then do a combined classical history and science class in the afternoon. Last year her electves were art and Latin. This year she will do drama and creative writing.

My boys have zero interest in co-op. When it comes to school, they want to get in, get their work done and are happy with friends they have from their extracurriculars. They do Boy Scouts, Antlers (youth program through the Elks Lodge), and church activities so I am not concerned about their socialization.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 19, 2014 at 4:00 PM

For myself, I like DD being gone on Monday as my middle DS has a learning disability and works better when she isn't around. These two are like oil and water - LOL. I use the time to work with DS2 and get paperwork done. DD needs a lot of redirection to get her work done the rest of the week.

I do NOT feel the need to go to co-op for the mommy interaction. I could offer to teach, but have no desire. I do Girl and Boy Scouts and with the kids and get plenty of time with other parents and adults. I HAVE done a few quick classes. When DD's co-op was learning about maps & compasses I taught them how to work a compass and set up a quick orienteering course for them in the yard. I have done knot tying, shown dog obedience (have a dog trained similar to a police k9) and similar one time classes with them at the teacher's request

DS1 is a Junior and fully independent in his learning. 

mollymcleod
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I'm glad you posted. I also want to put my son in classes like art or music any activities he'd be interested in. I want to get him in fall/spring soccer since you have to be 7 to do football and basketball in my town. And baseball in the summer.
NoraDun
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Co-ops arent for us. We joined one our first year but it was small and with a bunch of church ladies. It was very unorganized as well! Then we movied. Our first year in our new home we found a co-op but they wouldnt allow us to join mid year. This year I meant with some of the ladies and they talked me into joining, BUT then I got a message from the head of the co-op asking if my son knew how to behave. If he had outbursts, if he was mean, etc because she saw me mention him having adhd. After some other words I decided that the co-op wasn't for us. I didnt need them assuming because my son has a diagnosis which we do not treat as a crutch that he would some how be a trouble child. They also are VERY strict, and structure. If I wanted that negativity and structure I would of sent my kids to public school! So for us its not important! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)