Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Progress Trackers

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

What are some methods you use to see your child's progress and improvement between the first day of school and the last?

Since this is our first full homeschool year DH wants to be able to see their progress at the end of the year and see that they've learned.

I'm not sure the best way to go about doing that :P

by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mollymcleod
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM
I don't have any info for you but I want to know what others have to say.
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I keep the first page from each subject for all semesters.  I put them in a portfolio labeled for that child and that year.  My kids can go back and look so see the changes that happened through the year.  I'm going to have to seperate their portfolio's in another year or so....as my oldest is going to outgrow what we have by the end of next year.

I forgot to add that have 6 semesters.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM
We do both computer and notebook binders. For the notebook binders, I put their names in them and date each day's/week's assignments and keep them in a box when they are done with them. For when they do their work on a computer, I will save it to a cd and or a usb storage device with name and date same as I do for the notebooks. This way I can keep track and if anyone ever wanted/needed to see the kids' progress, I have it available.
collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Many teachers pull this trick (which I always thought was unfair but whatever). Have your child do a journal on something they did, like what they did at the park today....have them do it on lined paper & draw a picture with it.

Then at the end of the year, spend a lot of time discussing paragraphs and details, then walk them through writing a beautiful paragraph, fix all their spelling & grammar errors, then have them write it in their 'best handwriting' and have them draw a picture to go with it.

I always did a short lesson before doing a journal on any Fridays, then towards the end of the year the parents got a journal of their free writing at the end of the year.
sweetfox3
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I have a filing cabinet drawer for each child.  After they do an assignment and it is checked and graded, it is dated and placed in the correct subject folder.  At the end of the month, everything is placed into a binder by month, subject, and date.  A piece of paper for each month has that month's "grades" on it:  but they really only have 2 grades:  M (mastery) or K (keep trying).  (the "grades" are for practice when they get high-school aged and I need to do a transcript for college.)

JadeTigr7
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Just keep papers periodically and you'll be able to see the progress.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN