Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do YOU know about ...

Posted by   + Show Post
... all things August?

What one word would you use to describe the month if August?

I'll start ...

8th month
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
craftyzenmom
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Oceans.... my daughter spends most of the month surfing and hanging out at the beach every August so I always start the year out with a study in oceanography of some sort. Last year she did classifications of sea life she saw and started with a novel unit on Island of the Blue Dolphins. This year there have been 2 signficant shark sightings and lots of climate changes so we're going to something with that if she ever gets out of the water!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Yikes! Hopefully you get some cooler days in the rest of this month.

Quoting coala:

HOT!!!!

It is the hottest month of the year in the south....Florida to be specific.  It was 105 yesterday by noon.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Sadness. We just hatched the rest of our chicks for last month of summer.

Also happiness because all the kids are going back to school. I love school time and being able to have reduced crowds during the week. One benefit of homeschooling. I really dislike crowds in the summer.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:11 AM

August 14th is V-J Day.

August 15th is the Feast of Assumption.

August 24th is Mt Vesuvius day.  It's the day it erupted (exploded?) in 79AD.  We celebrated it last year and 3 years ago when we were covering the ancient world.  

And there are no "real" holidays in August (like Christmas or Rosh Hashanah or Samhain or Eid Al Fatir or even Labor Day!!), so I learned these ones the year Zave was in Preschool and we did the year in holidays.  There was next to nothing to do in August!! 

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

It's August!!  We don't get cooler days.  LOL

My kids don't even want to play outside....I can't say that I blame them.  Just walking to the car is a bit much at the grocery store.  We bike in the evening at dusk when it is much cooler.....like 95 or so (I know it doesn't sound like much).  It makes a big difference in how active you can be.

Quoting kirbymom: Yikes! Hopefully you get some cooler days in the rest of this month.
Quoting coala:

HOT!!!!

It is the hottest month of the year in the south....Florida to be specific.  It was 105 yesterday by noon.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:20 PM

August..my anniversry month.

As others said.Augutus Caesar (which I KNEW but never really thought about until DD did SOTW last year and they talked about it. He was kind of an ass LOL)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:47 PM
LOL
I used to live in Nevade where the temps got up to 120°. Of course there isn't any humidity but heat is heat when it's that hot.

Quoting coala:

It's August!!  We don't get cooler days.  LOL

My kids don't even want to play outside....I can't say that I blame them.  Just walking to the car is a bit much at the grocery store.  We bike in the evening at dusk when it is much cooler.....like 95 or so (I know it doesn't sound like much).  It makes a big difference in how active you can be.

Quoting kirbymom: Yikes! Hopefully you get some cooler days in the rest of this month.

Quoting coala:

HOT!!!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Wow. What do you put in your garden?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Be beggining of the fall planting season in Texas.  (Horrible to do gardening at this time of year though...it's why I sometimes miss those fall planting dates).

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:09 PM
That is amazing! Boy I would love to be swimming with you! Let me know how your projects go. :)

Quoting craftyzenmom:

Oceans.... my daughter spends most of the month surfing and hanging out at the beach every August so I always start the year out with a study in oceanography of some sort. Last year she did classifications of sea life she saw and started with a novel unit on Island of the Blue Dolphins. This year there have been 2 signficant shark sightings and lots of climate changes so we're going to something with that if she ever gets out of the water!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:39 PM
You hatched some chicks!? Awesome. What breed(s) in particular, do you know? We used to raise chickens ourselves.

Quoting jen2150: Sadness. We just hatched the rest of our chicks for last month of summer.

Also happiness because all the kids are going back to school. I love school time and being able to have reduced crowds during the week. One benefit of homeschooling. I really dislike crowds in the summer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)