Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do YOU know about ...

Posted by   + Show Post
... all things August?

What one word would you use to describe the month if August?

I'll start ...

8th month
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Replies (21-30):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Fairs, 4H, etc...    Growing up, school started AFTER the annual fair labor day weekend because all the kids would skip school for the fair anyway..    Out in Canfield, Ohio.    We don't live there anymore and it just feels odd that the school kids have been back for a week or even a couple weeks already.

Scribbleprints
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, in August I planted more cucumbers and hopefully can get  some bush beans planted soon (getting kind of late).  My garden is already full of peppers (which will last into November or even December if I cover them), a tomato plant (same), chives (never die), oregano (also never dies), swiss chard (doesn't die but sure is sad in the summer), and huge basil (which usually last until Sept/Oct).     Will be planting broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce soon (never grown the first two but want to try--lettuce is a yearly thing though).  Oh, and my carrots plant themselves--I accidentally left a seed packet out one year, and it blew into a corner of my yard, and grew better there than in my garden bed, so now I just let one of the carrots bloom and it reseeds itself over there..

Quoting kirbymom: Wow. What do you put in your garden?
Quoting Scribbleprints:

Be beggining of the fall planting season in Texas.  (Horrible to do gardening at this time of year though...it's why I sometimes miss those fall planting dates).

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM
I bet those were fun days too!? :)

Quoting KrissyKC:

Fairs, 4H, etc...    Growing up, school started AFTER the annual fair labor day weekend because all the kids would skip school for the fair anyway..    Out in Canfield, Ohio.    We don't live there anymore and it just feels odd that the school kids have been back for a week or even a couple weeks already.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
That it's the worst month to be pregnant in.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM
NICE!! I would love to be in a place to have such a garden as yours. Which veggie is your favorite?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Well, in August I planted more cucumbers and hopefully can get  some bush beans planted soon (getting kind of late).  My garden is already full of peppers (which will last into November or even December if I cover them), a tomato plant (same), chives (never die), oregano (also never dies), swiss chard (doesn't die but sure is sad in the summer), and huge basil (which usually last until Sept/Oct).     Will be planting broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce soon (never grown the first two but want to try--lettuce is a yearly thing though).  Oh, and my carrots plant themselves--I accidentally left a seed packet out one year, and it blew into a corner of my yard, and grew better there than in my garden bed, so now I just let one of the carrots bloom and it reseeds itself over there..

Quoting kirbymom: Wow. What do you put in your garden?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Be beggining of the fall planting season in Texas.  (Horrible to do gardening at this time of year though...it's why I sometimes miss those fall planting dates).

notjstanothrmom
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Orange.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
OMG, I SO know what you mean! It can be brutal!

Quoting somuchlove4U: That it's the worst month to be pregnant in.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Lol .. just orange? :)

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Orange.

notjstanothrmom
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

You said one word! :)

Here it's when we're preparing for fall and back to school and that makes me think of the upcoming foliage which turns everything orange. :)

Quoting kirbymom: Lol .. just orange? :)
Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Orange.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Oooh. Not too many people know about the Feast of Assumption! :) *tips hat*
I love that there aren't too many things going on in this month. Slow down and take a breath time. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

August 14th is V-J Day.

August 15th is the Feast of Assumption.

August 24th is Mt Vesuvius day.  It's the day it erupted (exploded?) in 79AD.  We celebrated it last year and 3 years ago when we were covering the ancient world.  

And there are no "real" holidays in August (like Christmas or Rosh Hashanah or Samhain or Eid Al Fatir or even Labor Day!!), so I learned these ones the year Zave was in Preschool and we did the year in holidays.  There was next to nothing to do in August!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN