Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do YOU know about ...

Posted by   + Show Post
... all things August?

What one word would you use to describe the month if August?

I'll start ...

8th month
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Replies (31-40):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:46 PM
*hehe* lol :)

Well ... *sheepishly grins*

Anything else?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You said one word! :)

Here it's when we're preparing for fall and back to school and that makes me think of the upcoming foliage which turns everything orange. :)

Quoting kirbymom: Lol .. just orange? :)

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Orange.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm 37 weeks right now. This past week has been in the 90's. I've managed to stay inside as much as possible.

Quoting kirbymom: OMG, I SO know what you mean! It can be brutal!

Quoting somuchlove4U: That it's the worst month to be pregnant in.
Scribbleprints
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Lemon Basil (well, it's an herb, not a veggie, but still my fave).  I LOVE pesto, and would almost never be able to afford it if I didn't grow basil for it myself, cause pesto can only be made fresh (and fresh herbs are so expensive) or I would have to buy it jarred (also expensive).  And the dried stuff is great too...like regular basil but milder and definately with a lemony flavor and smell.  Plus, out here in Texas it is SO EASY to grow.  Unfortunately, once it gets colder it dries up, but we enjoy it all summer long.  And it self seeds.  

Quoting kirbymom: NICE!! I would love to be in a place to have such a garden as yours. Which veggie is your favorite?
Quoting Scribbleprints:

Well, in August I planted more cucumbers and hopefully can get  some bush beans planted soon (getting kind of late).  My garden is already full of peppers (which will last into November or even December if I cover them), a tomato plant (same), chives (never die), oregano (also never dies), swiss chard (doesn't die but sure is sad in the summer), and huge basil (which usually last until Sept/Oct).     Will be planting broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce soon (never grown the first two but want to try--lettuce is a yearly thing though).  Oh, and my carrots plant themselves--I accidentally left a seed packet out one year, and it blew into a corner of my yard, and grew better there than in my garden bed, so now I just let one of the carrots bloom and it reseeds itself over there..

Quoting kirbymom: Wow. What do you put in your garden?
Quoting Scribbleprints:

Be beggining of the fall planting season in Texas.  (Horrible to do gardening at this time of year though...it's why I sometimes miss those fall planting dates).

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Wow! How are you feeling? Are you ready for it yet?

Quoting somuchlove4U: I'm 37 weeks right now. This past week has been in the 90's. I've managed to stay inside as much as possible.

Quoting kirbymom: OMG, I SO know what you mean! It can be brutal!

Quoting somuchlove4U: That it's the worst month to be pregnant in.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Yeah, pesto is definitely one of the expensive items out there. Now, do you grow all the herbs or just a select few?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Lemon Basil (well, it's an herb, not a veggie, but still my fave).  I LOVE pesto, and would almost never be able to afford it if I didn't grow basil for it myself, cause pesto can only be made fresh (and fresh herbs are so expensive) or I would have to buy it jarred (also expensive).  And the dried stuff is great too...like regular basil but milder and definately with a lemony flavor and smell.  Plus, out here in Texas it is SO EASY to grow.  Unfortunately, once it gets colder it dries up, but we enjoy it all summer long.  And it self seeds.  

Quoting kirbymom: NICE!! I would love to be in a place to have such a garden as yours. Which veggie is your favorite?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Well, in August I planted more cucumbers and hopefully can get  some bush beans planted soon (getting kind of late).  My garden is already full of peppers (which will last into November or even December if I cover them), a tomato plant (same), chives (never die), oregano (also never dies), swiss chard (doesn't die but sure is sad in the summer), and huge basil (which usually last until Sept/Oct).     Will be planting broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce soon (never grown the first two but want to try--lettuce is a yearly thing though).  Oh, and my carrots plant themselves--I accidentally left a seed packet out one year, and it blew into a corner of my yard, and grew better there than in my garden bed, so now I just let one of the carrots bloom and it reseeds itself over there..

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Be beggining of the fall planting season in Texas.  (Horrible to do gardening at this time of year though...it's why I sometimes miss those fall planting dates).

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I was glad there weren't many holidays because I am always buried in canning in August!  Finished green beans, canned blueberries, blueberry syrup, tomato sauce, salsa, tortilla soup, chili con carne, vegetarian chili, Red enchilada sauce, and I still need to pick up my peaches!  It's a rough month.

Quoting kirbymom: Oooh. Not too many people know about the Feast of Assumption! :) *tips hat* I love that there aren't too many things going on in this month. Slow down and take a breath time. :)
Quoting bluerooffarm:

August 14th is V-J Day.

August 15th is the Feast of Assumption.

August 24th is Mt Vesuvius day.  It's the day it erupted (exploded?) in 79AD.  We celebrated it last year and 3 years ago when we were covering the ancient world.  

And there are no "real" holidays in August (like Christmas or Rosh Hashanah or Samhain or Eid Al Fatir or even Labor Day!!), so I learned these ones the year Zave was in Preschool and we did the year in holidays.  There was next to nothing to do in August!! 

Scribbleprints
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Not all, but  I grow a lot.  So far oregano, rosemary, chives, cilantro (in winter/spring - it bolts as soon as it gets warm), dill (spring/fall), parsley, mint.  There's some fun things you can do with dill and mint fresh.

Chives are the easiest  to grow (even easier than basil).  I planted some in the corners of my raised bed about 5 years ago, and they continue to grow and spread.  They reseed like crazy.

Quoting kirbymom: Yeah, pesto is definitely one of the expensive items out there. Now, do you grow all the herbs or just a select few?
Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Wow. That is awesome. Okay, you got me. What 'fun' things can you do with dill and mint? :)

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Not all, but  I grow a lot.  So far oregano, rosemary, chives, cilantro (in winter/spring - it bolts as soon as it gets warm), dill (spring/fall), parsley, mint.  There's some fun things you can do with dill and mint fresh.

Chives are the easiest  to grow (even easier than basil).  I planted some in the corners of my raised bed about 5 years ago, and they continue to grow and spread.  They reseed like crazy.

Quoting kirbymom: Yeah, pesto is definitely one of the expensive items out there. Now, do you grow all the herbs or just a select few?

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

elizabooks
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Second harvest.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:32 AM
What do you harvest in your second harvest crops?

Quoting elizabooks: Second harvest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN