Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Girl Scouts Help? *update*

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM
  • 6 Replies

Does anyone have experience with Girl Scouts and creating your own troop? How many girls should be in the troop? If I start a troop I would obviously try to find other girls interested in joining but for now it would just be my two first graders...is that enough to call us a "troop"?

Any info and advice appreciated :)

*update*

I got in contact with the woman who oversees troops in our area and at first was told that there wasn't any room and then was sent another email saying a combo daisy/brownie troop had room and was in need of a co-leader! Now I'm very overwhelmed. I'm not sure if I will be able to depending on my husband's schedule...is it hard to be a Juliette?

by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Our troop had to have 5 girls to be called a troop. 

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
One of the papers I got last night says there must be 5 girls and 2 registered adults to become a troop.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I had to have a co-leader and 5 girls.  You can still do GS with just your girls, but they'd be known as Juliettes, I believe.  Here I had very little (none) support from council and had to find my own co-leader and girls.  :(

BellaRose17
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I got in contact with the woman who oversees troops in our area and at first was told that there wasn't any room and then was sent another email saying a combo daisy/brownie troop had room and was in need of a co-leader! Now I'm very overwhelmed. I'm not sure if I will be able to depending on my husband's schedule...is it hard to be a Juliette?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Being a Juliette isn't hard...it just is not nearly as much fun. A BIG part of GS is learning leadership and teamwork and that is hard to do alone. Do you know any other homeschoolers that might want to be an unofficial Troop?  By that I mean getting together together to do activities and badges but not go through the paperwork and formalities of forming a Troop.

I was a leader the first 4 years of DD's Girl Scouts and it is a lot of work but fun and rewarding too. I am NOT a fan of a lot of the changes to the program so I am not sure what we are going to do this fall. Currently DD is independent. We have a Troop we are on a waiting list for and I have a friend who is trying to convince me to start a Troop of my own again.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM

If you are a Christian, there is another group out there that is awesome.   It's called American Heritage Girls.   It's a neat program, but costs more than girl scouts because it doesn't recieve barely any funding in comparison.   It's like a hundred or two to just get started in an existing group to get the books and such.

We loved it, though, but moved away from the program and now that we've moved back near it we are too busy with other things and my girls don't want to get back involved.

Sorry, this is a branch off of your first question.   But if you are interested, you could google it and find out if they even have troops near you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)