Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The first day of (home)school!

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM
  • 5 Replies
2 moms liked this

My DD got up late (for her), watched the public school kids trudge into school off the bus (it's across the street from us). Practiced home economics with math skills by helping me make and eat a nutritious, leisurely breakfast of crepes and fruit, and I instituted a part-time uniform mandate by demanding she stay in her jammies until at least 9AM.

Then she got dressed, came outside for phys ed. She helped me brush/bathe three horses, we went on a trail ride, and she got dirty. So we changed into our bathing suits and went to the athletic club and swam and played for a while. I also made sure to SOCIALIZE her by encouraging her to play basketball with other kids (but not to get too close, since some of them were homeschoolers too and we don't want to catch the weird again).

After that it was time for literacy, which took the form of free-reading and discussion with the teacher, which she did from the backseat of the car.

Our day being strictly structured for maximum education, we went straight to work on science when we got home. Today we let go of the third batch of tadpoles we've raised this summer and she documented her results by comparing how huge the ones we had in late spring were before they finally developed legs, versus how small these ones were, and we formulated a hypothesis of why it may have taken longer for them to become frogs in the beginning of the year than it did this time.

I guess I can't hold her any longer - being 3:15 now - and will have to stop being the smothering homeschool mom that makes her learn all day long. Case in point: she's taking a nap now because she's tired out from all that rigorous, carefully-planned, high-pressure education.

But rest assured, a school-minded mother's work is never done. I might even make her do homework. Like suggest a craft project when the 4:30 "I'm bored" rolls around, or demand she color with me when we go out to dinner tonight, mostly because they scowl when an adult asks for crayons and coloring pages but for some reason it's adorable when the 4.5 year old does it.

Yep - our day was just packed with rigorous learning. It's so important to start children early. Who knows how far behind they'll fall if difficult work and scheduling and structure and competition are not of utmost priority!

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Roisin07
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Love your post:) Glad it was a good day!

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I love love your post !!!
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I'm so glad you guys had fun!!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM
I love your post! :)
Bethbeth
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Wow, amazing to think kids can learn without sitting at a desk all day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN