Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Field Trips--and preparation

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM
  • 7 Replies

Do you have any Field Trips planned?  What do you do to prepare for them?  Are the a culmination of a unit study or just an ad-hoc let's go do this today? Is the unit study planned because of the field trip or is it the other way round?

We are going to try to go to Paris this fall--provided we can catch a Space-A hop over to Europe (sometimes military planes have some seats available for passengers for a small fee--about $20 or so a person, but the requirements are strict--one traveller must be Active Duty or Retired and the others must be his/her dependants.)   So, we are studying French history, art history, French language, French literature, French scientists.  (I got us an apartment for the two weeks we plan to be there for about what we would pay for a hotel here.)

After that, we are moving to another state because of my job (I did investigate what needs to be done to homeschool legally) and the move is going to be another project.

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I have a couple field trips planned and I am sure more will come up throughout the year. Sometimes it has to do with what we are studying and sometimes it doesn't.  I don't really prepare anything usually.

Molimomma
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

We just did a quick and easy zoo field trip. It was a culminating trip after our rainforest unit. Our zoo has a great number of rainforest animals so it was really convienent. I made a checklist for my son to mark off all the rainforest animals as we found them. He's only kindergarten so it was a picture scavenger hunt. I also laminated him a copy of the zoo map(he loves to navigate with maps). He really enjoyed the list and checking off each animal as we saw it. He was really focused I was surprised, I figured he would just want to see all the animals like a regular visit but he was on a misson. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM
We are spending a week in williamsburg so I am doing colonial history class at co-op for 2 weeks. We are going to a zoo for our study on Australia. My son and are visiting a wildlife center but not really doing anything to prepare for it. It just really depends. Sometimes they go togehter and sometimes they don't. Sometimes I just hear about something fun and we just go and have fun. This summer we were studying biology and went to some botanical gardens. I love planning a field trip around what we are studying and I also love just going for the fun of it.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:35 AM

We have 17 planned field trips this year.  They are typically tied to something we're studying.  We actually already did one: Laurel Caverns.  We read The Great Ball Game a folktale where the bat wins the game and followed it up with Amazing Bats.  So then the field trip.

We're going to do Fort Necessity and Jumonville Glen when we get to the French and Indian War.

Full list:

Laurel Caverns
Pittsburgh Zoo
Ride the train
VA Beach Aquarium
Pungo Ferry and Kitty Hawk
Pitt. Children's Museum
Sideling Hill
Ohiopyle fossil detectives
Carnegie Science center (and planetarium)
Duquesne Incline and Mt Washington Incline
National Aviary
Ft. Necessity and Jumonville Glen (and Braddock's Grave, and the Toll House)
Carnegie Natural History
Ft Pitt Block House and Museum, Roberto Clemente bridge and the Water Steps
Andy Warhol
Penn or Indian Caves
Shenandoah Nat. Park (and possibly Lauray)
Triple B Farms

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Wow a lot of you have such awesome field trips planned.

We are studying American exploration and stuff like that 1600s-1800sish...so we will visit Plymouth MA in Sept, then Salem MA in October for the witch trials part of our studies.

Other than that, we randomly go to the art museum and local science museum. We went to the zoo this summer and just did a camping trip in the mountains.

Our field trips tend to just be day trips that are planned by others or that we just decide to do alone or with some friends. Often they have nothing to do with what we are learning but I can usually squeeze some kind of learning out of them ;)
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Ours are usually....that sounds fun...lets do that.

I never plan them out like this.  I hope you have a great time.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM

We have done it both ways. Paris would be amazing! Can I come? LOL

I do it more with my Scout troops than just with my kids (their ages and lessons are so spread out) but we did a whole study on water conservation, sea animals, and swimming requirements and then ended the time with a whale watching trip and a visit to an aquarium.

We will be going to the Reniassance Fair in April and DD's history this year is SOTW Middle ages. We wil tie in to what the boys are doing a little bit as both are high school so I can't manipulate it too much. My oldest DS is doing a cooking merit badge for Boy couts, I may try and have hm choose a recipe or two that would have been made back then for us. Things like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)