Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Scheduling/Planning Help?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm trying to finish scheduling all of our curriculum and lesson plans for the year...but I'm stumped as to how to plan and schedule our reading/spelling & math.

For reading/spelling we will be using All About Reading and following it with All About Spelling.

Both of my girls are the same "grade" but one is a bit more "advanced" in these subjects than the other. I hate saying it that way but it's late and my brain isn't working at the moment.

With one girl I think she'd be able to handle a lesson of reading a day and be successful with it.

With my second daughter, I know that a lesson a day would be too much for her. I want to go at her speed so that she learns and can succeed in reading. Thanks to public school she is convinced that she can't and I know it will just rock her world when she is able to sound out words and finally "get it".

But how do I schedule and plan when I don't necessarily know how long it will take her? I want to set goals for her to meet and have SOME expectations but I don't want it to be too much.

How do I schedule something when I don't yet know how fast is too fast and how slow is too slow?

For math, it's really the same problem. We will be using Math U See.

The first daughter I plan on covering a lesson a week (which will probably be too slow for her actually but that's what I'm thinking right now)

For my second daughter I'm not sure how much I should schedule.

So, I guess my question is: how do you schedule and plan lessons when you don't know how slow/fast you should go?

Thanks!

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Do NOT schedule those things. I promise - it will almost always be a waste of time.

How do I know? Because I just did it, lol. I spent weeks making lesson plans for DD13 and DS5, only to throw them all out today.

Schedule out your content subjects (art history, music, history, literature, religion, science), because those are predictable and do not require mastery (prior to high school, you are aiming for exposure, not mastery, in those areas).

For your skill based subjects (math, handwriting, composition/writing, phonics, spelling), "do the next thing" every day. If you have more than one child working within the same program, keep an index card in the book for EACH child, mark where you leave off with that child (put names on the card), and go from there.

With children who are just learning how to read and write especially, you need the flexibility of being able to speed up when they're soaring, and back up when they're stumped. Being wedded to a lesson plan for those subjects will only frustrate you.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Autymsmommy is absolutely correct!  Plan the contents and just "do the next thing" for those pesky skills-based building blocks kind of subjects!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Make your plans general and not too specific. For our LA program I plan them out in 5 day incrediments but plan to spend up to two weeks on them. Hw long depends on them. Every day I simply write down what we did that day.
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you got some really great suggestions from the other moms.  You are going to need to sort of go with the flow.  The flow will depend on your girls.

I can tell you now that I had a child that was struggling with reading for 2 years.....all of sudden it clicked and she is FLYING through books.  I bought the books she asked for because she was taking about 2 weeks to read each one....she is reading one a day right now.  The pace is set by the kids and just go with it.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I would start, mark in your plan book or whatever what you did that day, and then maybe look at the next fees days work so you have an idea of whAt to prepare.

The nice thing about homeschooling is flexibility!
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I don't lesson plan per sey, instead I just write down the subjects we need to work in for the day, have a general idea of when we do it and go from there.   As we go, I jot down the lesson or pages that we complete in my journal because I have to keep a daily log of our activities for the state.  

My older kids have their own journals now, and I put down for example, "R&S ________ " under the english line and printed it off for every day of the week they need to complete a R&S lesson or at least some work.   They write lesson X or pg x-x, etc.        (R&S is Rod and Staff since that is the curric we use for english)

So I have a week planner that has all their classes down at specified times and then just a list of the "home" classwork we do per day.   And they fill in the blanks.   I printed it off myself and then took it to office max to have it spiral bound and vinyl covered.    There is a little bit of space under every subject every day to add extras and if we don't get to something that day, they can just put an X over it or an N/A in the blank.

Since I use curriculum that is broken down into lessons or pages, I can do that.   Now, if I were intensely creating my own lesson plans and putting together my own curric, I couldn't.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

it took a lot of planning to work around three different levels of kids this year and all the classes and events they are signed up for already.   Plus I have a two yr old.  

I get where you are coming from.   

Also, have you considered doing one of the subjects after dinner together?   Reading is great as part of the bedtime routine.   It can break up the school day, allow for 10 extra minutes or less minutes without any harm in the routine.

Bethbeth
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest not planning so much. Plan out the first few days and see how it goes. The more you plan ahead of time, the more you will have to replan as you go when you see what will work better.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't schedule specific lessons for those subjects. They are only put on the schedule as Monday: Math, Writing, ..... We just do the next thing each day that subject is scheduled. Science, history, spanish...those I have planned out what to do each week to finish what we need to in the year. But skill subjects need to be more flexible. If a math lesson comes easily, we breeze through it and move on. If she struggles with a concept, we can take longer on it. We just keep plugging through.

I do figure up at the beginning of the year about how much we need to do per week to finish in a year, but just as a guidline for myself. So 100 math lessons divided by 36 weeks means we need to get through about 3 lessons a week. Since we do math 4 days a week, I know that means I can take 2 days to get through any lessons as needed, or take some fun/game math days if we've not been needing 2 days for one lesson often. But I don't schedule anything with that in mind. That would just lead to frustration and anxiety because I KNOW we would be off the schedule within a week or two. SOME lesson would go faster or take longer than what I'd anticipated. And you never know ahead of time when you're going to need to say "hold up, nothing new for a couple days, we need to back up and spend serious review on 'xyz'"

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....."

BellaRose17
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Thank you so much for all of your advice!! It helps immensely! ^_^ So I shouldn't worry about setting any goals as far as those subjects go? Just focus on forward progression?

And thank you so much for your explanation on the content subjects! I was worried about them as well but it makes so much more sense when you think of them as simply early exposure and not something that must be mastered right now at this level.

Thanks again!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Do NOT schedule those things. I promise - it will almost always be a waste of time.

How do I know? Because I just did it, lol. I spent weeks making lesson plans for DD13 and DS5, only to throw them all out today.

Schedule out your content subjects (art history, music, history, literature, religion, science), because those are predictable and do not require mastery (prior to high school, you are aiming for exposure, not mastery, in those areas).

For your skill based subjects (math, handwriting, composition/writing, phonics, spelling), "do the next thing" every day. If you have more than one child working within the same program, keep an index card in the book for EACH child, mark where you leave off with that child (put names on the card), and go from there.

With children who are just learning how to read and write especially, you need the flexibility of being able to speed up when they're soaring, and back up when they're stumped. Being wedded to a lesson plan for those subjects will only frustrate you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)