Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ABC Mouse

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM
  • 9 Replies

For a suppliment to pre-k/kinder curriculum? 

Thoughts? 

I've heard great things about it, but I'd like home school mom's opinions before I go ahead and do it!

by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bekaanne0524
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM
I liked it for a while. Then my son lost interest. After I cancelled my subscription they kept charging my account. Then they tried to tell me that they weren't. It was a 2 or 3 month fight with them to get them to stop charging me, even though they weren't even renewing my subscription.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My sons got bored and lost interest after just a few months.  They just wanted to play a couple of the games.  It wasn't worth the money when there's starfall and readingeggs.  Those have kept their interest much longer.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM
My son lost interest during the 3 year old program. It's good for independent reinforcement, but my son got irritated that I would have him do an activity from the 'leaning path' before he got free play time on it, so I stopped using it.

Also, if you sign up for a week or month free, then you will be added to their e-mail list. They have 40% off a few times throughout the year
MommaTurbo
by New Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Sounds like "lost interest" is a pretty common theme here! lol! 

I'll check out Starfall and readineggs! 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM

DD4.5 liked it for a few weeks and also lost interest. It was too easy and too slow going for her.  However, she was also fully reading at this time too.  We switched to time4learning and she's really liked that.  We also did Ooka Island for a bit and she LOVED it at first. For a few months she'd spend hours doing it but then too started to lose interest. 

Time4learning has held her interest the longest.

Caitryn
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
My ds, 6, has been borderline obsessed with it for 2 years. I don't force him to follow the learning path all the time, but it's not just the games he is interested in. He knows more about flora and fauna than I do thanks to the site, and he knew all of the planets, various facts, and some semi-advanced vocabulary fron ABC Mouse. (It's how I learned he really enjoys anything related to space.)

Of course, ds is also autistic, so that might be making all the difference in his case.
lilhappyfam
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM

my son saw thhe commercial and wanted it he was 4 he did't like it i didn't like it either it was slow i can't remember the rest of the million issues i had that was last year so i went back to book work tracing letters to get and practice writing now he is 5 and very good at writting and spelling as long as we keep practicing daily i changed it up often as he would get bored doing the same thing but i would not recoment abc mouse but i think they give you a free trial so you should give it a go and judge for your self 

sweetserenit292
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I tried it very briefly with my two boys ages 4 and 6.   They Love the commerical for ABC Mouse but they didn't like it once we had it.   lol   In my opinion, there was too much stuff to choose from and it really didn't make sense in how it was set up.   I have had more success with Reading Eggs and Starfall (the purchased edition).  With Reading Eggs, they would lose interest from time to time but I think it was due to a skill being too hard for them.  Once they undestood the concept, then they would want to play again.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM
I've heard good things about it but have never used them myself.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN