Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm new to the group

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:24 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello fellow moms, my name is Cassandra, I'm married to my husband Jeff and we are expecting twins in February, this will be #4 and #5 for us, we are very excited. Our oldest is now 3 years old and we'll have our kids pretty close in age to each other so far. I plan on Homeschooling and was wondering when I should introduce my oldest to school? Can anyone give me any advice? I'd love to hear any advice possible on when to introduce school and what exactly to do.

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MamaLauri
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome and Congratulations!

Three is old enough for starting joyful preschool learning, but I would wait for 6 years old before formalizing learning if you are going that route.

My twin granbabies are 20 months old, so I understand the amount of care they need in the first few months. So I would start your oldest informally when the twins are 8 months old.

When you are ready, this site has many things you need. Special emphasis is placed on special child and special adults. But the site promotes joyful learning for all, and for older folks, cognitive and executive function maintenance.

Web sitehttp://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html

Recomended Age Group: 3-103 years old

Brief Description: Multi-sensory games and activities to develop cognitive (reading, writing, math, critical thinking), social, and executive function skills. Including Read-Along Songbooks: a delightful way to build your reading skills. Tell-Me-A-Story Picture and Book of Pictures Develop your creative thinking and writing, by writing your own stories with these fanciful pictures. Read-Along Math Rap Songs to build your math skills. Read-Along Phonics Storybooks to build your phonics and reading skills. Read-Along Storybook Classics to build your vocabulary and love of reading. Read-Along Nursery Rhymes to build your phonics skills and love of words.  Letter and Number Fun including Letter Sounds, Letter Sound Songs, Word Building, and Alpha Animals to build your phonics skills. Learn to print Small Letters, Capital Letters, and Numbers animations. As well as Math, Memory, and Strategy Games for Everyone: Battleship, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Sudoku, Sudoku for Beginners (4x4), Sudoku Jr (6x6), Snakes & Ladders, Tick Tac Toe, Yahtz 'A Dice, Picture Challenges, Concentration Challenges, I Know How You Feel - Games for People with Emotion Blindness, Alexithymia. About Face - Games for People with Face Blindness, Prosopagnosia.

countrymom92
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Wow thank you for the advice. I just needed to hear from someone else on what to do, once I get a system down and get the hang of everything I think I should be fine. I can't wait to start so maybe that's why I am here wondering what to do, thanks for your advice :-)

collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a 3 year old & 1 year old. We do a lot of play based learning and art projects. I do a 'circle time' some days with songs and the day and the plan for the day ('we are doing an art project then going to the park', etc). I do about 1-2 activities a few times a week, maybe 20 minutes total of circle time plus art project or fine motor skill activity. My 3 year old likes activities so often he pulls out 'school stuff' like lacing cards, puzzles, etc throughout the day
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Hi Cassandra! Welcome!  :)

You have already been *home*schooling since baby's birth. You have been teaching so many things. How to smile, learn to hold things, learn to talk with words..then sentences, how to brush teeth, how to hold a fork and spoon, how to chew, hold a cup, how to trust, whom to trust.  This list could easily go on.  Teaching isn't as difficult as it first feels. Start with what you feel you  want your child to learn. ABC's, shapes, textures, numbers. Things of this nature. Have fun. Read as much and as often as you can to give a love of learning and to love to read.  Just enjoy each other as you go about your day showing/teaching your child all the things in their environment.  At three, you do not have to be strict on having a set curriculum. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN