Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

preschooler help!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM
  • 9 Replies
I am trying to teach a preschooler that just doesn't want to learn. At my wits end!!! Any ideas on how to get her more involved with learning?
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MamaLauri
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:41 PM

This site has many things you need. Special emphasis is placed on special child and special adults. But the site promotes joyful learning for all, and for older folks, cognitive and executive function maintenance. 

Web sitehttp://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html

Recomended Age Group: 3-103 years old

Brief Description: Multi-sensory games and activities to develop cognitive (reading, writing, math, critical thinking), social, and executive function skills. Including Read-Along Songbooks: a delightful way to build your reading skills. Tell-Me-A-Story Picture and Book of Pictures Develop your creative thinking and writing, by writing your own stories with these fanciful pictures. Read-Along Math Rap Songs to build your math skills. Read-Along Phonics Storybooks to build your phonics and reading skills. Read-Along Storybook Classics to build your vocabulary and love of reading. Read-Along Nursery Rhymes to build your phonics skills and love of words.  Letter and Number Fun including Letter Sounds, Letter Sound Songs, Word Building, and Alpha Animals to build your phonics skills. Learn to print Small Letters, Capital Letters, and Numbers animations. As well as Math, Memory, and Strategy Games for Everyone: Battleship, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Sudoku, Sudoku for Beginners (4x4), Sudoku Jr (6x6), Snakes & Ladders, Tick Tac Toe, Yahtz 'A Dice, Picture Challenges, Concentration Challenges, I Know How You Feel - Games for People with Emotion Blindness, Alexithymia. About Face - Games for People with Face Blindness, Prosopagnosia.

Molimomma
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

At that age you have to make fun, short, sweet and to the point or you'll lose them quick. You can get a lot of math in if you do a little calendar routine in the morning. I included weather, what day if the week it was, what yesterday was and what tomorrow would be plus filling in a pocket chart monthly calendar(helps with number recognition, counting, etc.) then we had a "number of the day" write it, draw a picture, tally marks, etc. you can teach colors, letters and numbers using all sorts of games, puzzles, play dough activities, etc. I like theme teaching and thankfully my son loves it too. We did everything from apples, pumpkins, dinosaurs, to robots and space. I do a theme a week so we've done just about everything under the sun. Try to balance the sit down stuff with active activities so your child doesn't get bored or antsy. For example I would read a story(quiet) then we would do an alphabet letter hunt all over the house(or backyard) to balance it out. Include field trips when you can too. We studied the rainforest, then went to the zoo that Friday and found all the animals we could that lived in the rainforest. Right now we are learning about the beach, next week is the ocean, then we are going to the TX State aquarium. The key is really to make it fun and not work.

daisymahaffey
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Thank you ladies!!! I will try both of these ideas. Our field trip days are Thursdays. She is really looking forward to those. I also have a 5th grader and 6th grader. So I am really struggling.
MethodMom
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM

What age is your preschooler? I would let her have a break. She doesn't HAVE to do anything. Preschool should be about teaching a child to LOVE learning. If she is resisting. stop, back up, let her just play. You can give her toys that encourage learning. 

a tub filled with rice, water, sand, coffee beans, corn kernels, or whatever you wnt to put in it. Change it out every couple of weeks to keep it fun. put different size bottles, measuring cups, shovels, spoons etc. in it. That will teach her measurment, and volume as well as be a fun sensory eperience. 

have a variety of puzzles, peg boards, stacking cups, counting bears. That teaches counting, spatial relations, colors, shapes, numbers, etc.

keep lots of art supplies on hand. stickers, playdoh, markers, crayons, bingo dotters, lots of paper. That will be plenty for pre writing. 

You can check out my blog and see what I did with my 2 year old today. I call him Hershey on my blog. 

daisymahaffey
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM
She is 4. She loves art. Plus we have tons of sensory bins and play dough. Do you have a link for your blog? Please.
collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:01 AM
No time for flash cards has some fun activities on it (it's a blog)

If she likes art, then just incorporate it! Do a dot markers to make letters, make letter crafts (there are blogs that have free ideas for those), etc.
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I don't force learning especially at that age. I just use life and whatever their interests are.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Play to learn at that age.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Also, you'll be surprised at what she picks up just listening to what her older siblings are learning.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)