Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning to Read Activities

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hello All!

(First, a confession: I am only a wannabe homeschooler - we haven't made it there yet)

DS is about to turn 4 and is very ready to jump into learning to read.  He's already got his letter sounds down pat, as well as a few sightwords.  I need some fun (and EASY - I'm 30 weeks pregnant and working more than full time) activites to help him through the next steps.

It wouldn't hurt to gather a little advice about what the next steps are, too...

I taught DD to read, largely at home, around her 5th birthday, but that was 7 years ago now, and my only memory of that time is the first time she sounded out the word HOP in "Hop on Pop."

Thanks all!

I'm a tree-hugging, breastfeeding, non-circing, vaxing, co-sleeping/bed-sharing, ethical eating, nearly vegan, home-birthing, Pagan, Unitarian Universalist, pro-choice, cloth diapering, Scorpio, feminist, half-Canadian, animal activist mommy to one clever little girl (11), the cutest little boy ever born (3), two mischevious rescue mutts (fixed), and an attention starved rescue kitty (also fixed).  Married to my own personal MacGyver.

Marine. Lawyer. Mommy. Wife. 
Making Sustainability Work in Busy, Everyday Life.
Urban Earthworm

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM
2 moms liked this

If he has all the letter sounds down you can then work on letter blends.  Pick a consonant and do ba, be, bi, bo, and bu.  You are going to have to make sure that he knows vowel sounds.  Once you get through the short sounds move onto the long sounds.  Do this with all the consonants.

From there you can do CVC words.  Consonant vowel consonant.  The short words....like hop, pop, cat, etc.

For sight words I actually used a DVD called meet the sight words by pre-school prep series.  It was a great start at getting my DD going.  She started reading full on at 3.  She was early compared to most kids...but this is what we did.

Good luck!!!

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Ring Around The Phonics is learning disguised as a game.  It comes with early reader books.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I have to say my son loved this game and we plan to use it more this year since he is still doing kindergarten work because we just started in January and took the summer off with him.

Quoting romacox:

Ring Around The Phonics is learning disguised as a game.  It comes with early reader books.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

There are a LOT of options for interactive reading programs.  I made a page where I've listed several--including free ones.  In full disclosure, a couple of the links are affiliate links, but the vast majority of them are just links. ;-)  If you want to see what's available out there, here's the link:  http://learningabledkids.com/reading/online-interactive-reading-games-and-programs.htm  We used Earobics and LexiaLearning's Reading Strategies program.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

When I was pregnant with my 3rd, my first was about 3.5.  I would have him spread flashcards of the letters on the floor (as I lazed on the couch, LOL) then I would tell him to skip to the letter that makes the sound....., touch the letter that makes the sound......., hold the letter that makes the sound....above his head.  When he had all the letter sounds down (and by the way it only took 15-20 minutes a couple times a day), I moved on to having him pick out ending family cards -at, -ot, -ap, etc.  Then as we'd read stories together, I'd point out the families we had covered and show him how I sounded them out.  When he got to kindergarten age I got the Hooked on Phonics program, but he flew through the kindergarten level because he already had most of those skills.

Mantidae
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM

All great ideas!  Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)