Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

do you findit difficult to teach in a manner different from the way you learn?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am and I am not sure how to keep up an enthusatic front for my dd.
She learns better with interactive materials. I learn better with books and textbooks. Even in elementary I adored books that sent me to the dictonary or encyclopedia to explain and expand on a topic. The less interaction I had with others the better I did.
My dd? Adores videos, and group discussion s.

I'm not sure how to teach like that....
She is the only kid (currently) in the house.

Also what are living history books that others keep mentioning?
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MethodMom
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

yes. It is hard. I love Pinterest. It gives me ideas on how to teach things several different ways. Like right now, we are studying mesopotamia. I would have been fine just reading about it, but I found links to videos, projects, and fun stuff. Today my kids built a ziggurat on Minecraft. 

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I found it to be "work" to try to meet my active learner's needs, but I did all I could to teach in HIS way because it made schoolwork more engaging and easier for him.  It's not easy though!  I ended up making myself a table of activities we could do so I could come up with activities more easily.  I have a table at: http://learningabledkids.com/multi_sensory_training/page24-kinesthetic2.htm if it will help you at all.

The living history books are historical narratives that may or may not be entirely factual.  For example if you read "The Miracle Worker," that would be a living history book about Helen Keller.  The Magic Treehouse Books include some historical facts, but are often more fiction than fact.  Basically the "living" part comes in because it is a story of historical figures and events.  The books are a lot more engaging as a way to learn history than reading dry textbooks!  My guys really enjoyed reading about Lewis and Clark, Sacajawea, etc.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM
It used to be a huge difficulty for me but I have been doing this for about 14 years now and have gotten used to all the diverse learning attributes each of my kids have and kind of enjoy it now.

living history
noun
any of various activities involving the re-enactment of historical events or the recreation of living conditions of the past.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:15 PM
I don't overly think about how they learn, but I guess I incorporate variety into our lessons that I hit on most of their styles somehow.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:24 AM
We learn by seeing, doing and reading. I would incorporate how you both learn. I have not had a hard time at all. My sons and I are similar. They are also talkers and doers.
elizabooks
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:30 AM
So living history books, just to be clear, are historical fiction?
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Living history books are essentially just quality literature on historical topics.

I will not teach in a way that I can't teach well. Teaching the way your child learns best is fantastic - if you can teach that way and well, but if slide so far into the philosophy of teaching only in the way your child learns best, regardless of how you TEACH best, you aren't going to do it as well. I'm all for being flexible about how you teach something, but I'm not going to be a sub-par teacher, simply because my child prefers to learn in a certain manner. What that means is that I try very hard to reach a compromise between my teaching style, and their learning style. My children may prefer hands on, but that isn't how I teach best, so I try to find some sort of compromise, because I will not make myself miserable (and them, by default) teaching within a methodology that I can't stand. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)