Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Explode The Code?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM
  • 5 Replies
Turns out my usual reading curriculum is not going to work for my youngest.
She needs something with a more phonics base.
I'm on a budget, and considering Explode The Code. She is still young, so probably Get Ready For The Code.
I was really hoping our old curriculum would work for her. Sadly, I just do not think it is going to work for her. Her learning style is very different.
Any advice is welcomed.
Thoughts on explode the code?
Thoughts on budget friendly reading curriculum?
This is my third child to teach to read, but I really don't feel ready to go it without a curriculum.
Thanks in advance!
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM
I love explode the code - it's very repetitive. I used it when I taught special Ed.

I am planning on using all about reading when my son is in kinder - it's very explicit & direct, which is how he learns best.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:37 PM

I haven't used it (we use Logic of English) but I have heard great things about it! :-)

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:22 AM
We love Explode the Code! It is one of the few things D'S loves to do.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:19 AM
I tried it with DS2 and DD. Both hated it. The worknooks were dull and boring.

We LOVE All About Spelling. Their reading version is based on the same method so I am sure ot would be good. It is multi-sensory and easily adjusted to the pace of each student.
MamaLauri
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Is your daughter a visual learner? Either way, this site has many things you need. Special emphasis is placed on special child and special adults. But the site promotes joyful learning for all, and for older folks, cognitive and executive function maintenance.

The visual sight words (Dolch, Fry, and Dyslexia stubble) K through 3rd grade are coming on shortly (the site will double by Sept 20, so check back). Would you like to be one of the Beta testers?

Web sitehttp://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html

Recomended Age Group: 3-103 years old

Brief Description: Multi-sensory games and activities to develop cognitive (reading, writing, math, critical thinking), social, and executive function skills. Including Read-Along Songbooks: a delightful way to build your reading skills. Tell-Me-A-Story Picture and Book of Pictures Develop your creative thinking and writing, by writing your own stories with these fanciful pictures. Read-Along Math Rap Songs to build your math skills. Read-Along Phonics Storybooks to build your phonics and reading skills. Read-Along Storybook Classics to build your vocabulary and love of reading. Read-Along Nursery Rhymes to build your phonics skills and love of words.  Letter and Number Fun including Letter Sounds, Letter Sound Songs, Word Building, and Alpha Animals to build your phonics skills. Learn to print Small Letters, Capital Letters, and Numbers animations. As well as Math, Memory, and Strategy Games for Everyone: Battleship, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Sudoku, Sudoku for Beginners (4x4), Sudoku Jr (6x6), Snakes & Ladders, Tick Tac Toe, Yahtz 'A Dice, Picture Challenges, Concentration Challenges, I Know How You Feel - Games for People with Emotion Blindness, Alexithymia. About Face - Games for People with Face Blindness, Prosopagnosia.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)