Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If this is your first year home schooling... ?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

What made you decide to do it?

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:40 PM
While this isn't my first year homeschooling, it is my first year homeschooling through the year. :)
I went this route to see if the kids did better learning by changing how we did school, shorter, more frequent breaks with longer terms and a more laid back approach.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:48 PM
This is our 8th year....

DS1 was bullied and beat up several times and the school refused to do anything.

DS2 has a learning disability that the school refused to acknowledge existed and labeled him a behabior problem. Because I worked with him 1-2 hrs per night at home he didnt test low enough to get in school services. They required him to be at minimum 1 year behind grade level and I could see no reason to let that happen and then try to play catchup.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Not my first year, (actually my 8th) but we chose homeschooling for many reasons that all boil down to our desire to take back our parental authority and educate our own children instead of putting them in a system that undermines our religious convictions.
Decemberlov
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I think I could write a novel on this lol. I'll just list some of the key reasons:

- My daughter has TS, ADD & OCD - she needs more one on one attention that the school can provide. She's too far advanced for special ed. but has a hard time keeping up in the regular classes with 20+ kids.

- She's been bullied because of her TS

- She would come home from school miserable and reading and homework were always a fight.

- I know we can do better in 4 hours a day, than the school does in 8.

- I was tired of being told I should medicate my child.

- I didn't like the person she was becoming and the bad habits she was learning.

mollymcleod
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM
My son is now in kindergarten and we are homeschooling until he is old enough to play school sports. Until then he is in city league sports. We chose this because we wanted more control over what he learns and when; we didn't have any bad experiences in school but we both felt that it could have been done better. My son is a bit wild and I know that he would have been labeled as a problem child or they would have tried to medicate him. He is just very excitable and he needs more one on one time than is provided in the school system.
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 3:02 PM

We are finishing our 2nd full year.  We started with the oldest and had to stop because of custody issues and my youngest did a full k4 program in less and 4 mos.

We are doing this for a few reasons.  The older child we adopted from a family member and she was tossed around so much from home to home and moved over 30 times by the time she was 5 1/2, so we just wanted her to feel secure.  When she came back to us she was on her 34th move and was going to fail K.  She is doing well and on target for grade level.  She is finishing up 2nd grade.

Our youngest and bio DD is to stinkin' bright to be in a classroom.  Factor in her food allergies and her inability to be still when she has eaten corn products and you have a serious recipe for disaster with her education.  Not to mention they won't let kids check out books from the school library if the reading level is more than 1 year ahead of where they "should" be and not based on where they are.  She is reading at an almost 5th grade level at the age of 6.  She would be bored to tears in a classroom and in trouble ALL the time.

SamuraiQueen
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM

The first year I homeschooled was for pre-k. We couldn't afford to pay for preschool, and I figured I could teach her what she needed and more.

We are homeschooling again this year for kindergarten because DD was able to learn SO MUCH leading up to pre-k and during that first year that she's now actually a lot ahead of her peers just entering kindergarten.

Our schools here could not/would not accommodate that disparity by continuing her education where we left off, which meant she would essentially be repeating kindergarten again. We didn't want to waste the progress she's made, so we decided it's best for us to continue homeschooling.

Also, we like taking vacations during non-peak seasons, when places aren't so busy and crowded. It's definitely a plus!

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM
This is our 3rd year.

We decided to homeschool because of several bullying incidents and some medical issues.
b1the1change
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM
My son isn't born yet lol. We're homeschooling because the public school system is horrible. I was intellectually gifted and hated the system. Our child will be able to go at his own pace and learn in the way easiest for him, and it will have nothing to do with which teachers do and don't like him.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:28 PM

My son has sensory issues. He was 4.5 before he was potty trained but knew all his letters and sounds at 2. Food is a constant struggle(what he's going to not going to eat, how it is served, etc) we often do school in his PJs "because it's most confortable". He doesn't like crowds or loud wild kids. He HATES change in routine which includes doing school year round and sometimes on weekends. He's super bright loves Science and math but struggles with frustration and temper issues when learning to read. I give him all sorts of special accommodations I couldn't possibly expect in a classroom and consistency he depends on....I could go on but that's enough!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN