Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Time4Learning

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I logged on and had my daughter try the demo. I was convinced it would be a great program to use to keep her busy and learning when I need her to work on her own for a bit. She hated it! I was told it was really good for kids with ADD - fast paced and kept them interested. Nope, not mine. Anyone elses kids not really into this program? I'm just surprised since I've heard so many good things about it! I guess every child is diffrent.

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I think the program is woefully inadequate, for anything more than a supplement - definitely NOT a full, comprehensive curriculum, imo.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Decemberlov
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Definitely. Plus it seemed like some of the games were poorly designed which made it frustrating. I wasn't impressed.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I think the program is woefully inadequate, for anything more than a supplement - definitely NOT a full, comprehensive curriculum, imo.

NightSky1701
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:53 AM
We used it last year for a few months when my son was born BC I knew how much time a newborn requires but I wont use it again. My daughter is 7, not ADD but definitely not a self motivator and has issues with distraction. So, I have found that she does much much better with one on one instruction with a book in her hands! I also thought the program was not thorough enough. Not even for first grade. We just started 2nd grade and I worry that her reading is behind. She is catching up fast though!
Decemberlov
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM
this is exactly what I was hoping to use it for. I have a baby due in October so I know that it will be hard for me to give her as much one in one as I can now. any tips on homeschooling while caring for a newborn?

Quoting NightSky1701: We used it last year for a few months when my son was born BC I knew how much time a newborn requires but I wont use it again. My daughter is 7, not ADD but definitely not a self motivator and has issues with distraction. So, I have found that she does much much better with one on one instruction with a book in her hands! I also thought the program was not thorough enough. Not even for first grade. We just started 2nd grade and I worry that her reading is behind. She is catching up fast though!
NightSky1701
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations! Unfortunately I don't have any good tips for you. It was hard but we made it through. I switched her to time4learning for the last few months of 1st grade and supplemented it with our own science and social studies books. To behonest though, I've decided social studies is a waste of time so now in our third year, I've thrown it out and designed my own curriculum which is more centered on history and geography. Don't stress about it though. One of the benefits of homeschooling is that you aren't on anybody's schedule. If you get a little behind on something, you have plenty of opportunity to catch up. Newborn babies require a lot of time and attention and cuddling but that stage only lasts a few months so try to enjoy it!

Quoting Decemberlov: this is exactly what I was hoping to use it for. I have a baby due in October so I know that it will be hard for me to give her as much one in one as I can now. any tips on homeschooling while caring for a newborn?

Quoting NightSky1701: We used it last year for a few months when my son was born BC I knew how much time a newborn requires but I wont use it again. My daughter is 7, not ADD but definitely not a self motivator and has issues with distraction. So, I have found that she does much much better with one on one instruction with a book in her hands! I also thought the program was not thorough enough. Not even for first grade. We just started 2nd grade and I worry that her reading is behind. She is catching up fast though!
MamaLauri
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Newborns take lots of energy. Try to plan your daughter's program 6 months out, before your baby comes. With ADD she needs one concept per page, like flashcards. Worksheets with more than 3 items per page will frequently lose them.

Try out the activites on this site. Special emphasis is placed on special child and special adults. But the site promotes joyful learning for all, and for older folks, cognitive and executive function maintenance.

Web sitehttp://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html

Recomended Age Group: 3-103 years old

Brief Description: Multi-sensory games and activities to develop cognitive (reading, writing, math, critical thinking), social, and executive function skills. Including Read-Along Songbooks: a delightful way to build your reading skills. Tell-Me-A-Story Picture and Book of Pictures Develop your creative thinking and writing, by writing your own stories with these fanciful pictures. Read-Along Math Rap Songs to build your math skills. Read-Along Phonics Storybooks to build your phonics and reading skills. Read-Along Storybook Classics to build your vocabulary and love of reading. Read-Along Nursery Rhymes to build your phonics skills and love of words.  Letter and Number Fun including Letter Sounds, Letter Sound Songs, Word Building, and Alpha Animals to build your phonics skills. Learn to print Small Letters, Capital Letters, and Numbers animations. As well as Math, Memory, and Strategy Games for Everyone: Battleship, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Sudoku, Sudoku for Beginners (4x4), Sudoku Jr (6x6), Snakes & Ladders, Tick Tac Toe, Yahtz 'A Dice, Picture Challenges, Concentration Challenges, I Know How You Feel - Games for People with Emotion Blindness, Alexithymia. About Face - Games for People with Face Blindness, Prosopagnosia.

Quoting Decemberlov: this is exactly what I was hoping to use it for. I have a baby due in October so I know that it will be hard for me to give her as much one in one as I can now. any tips on homeschooling while caring for a newborn?

Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Thank you! I wanted to try and follow our school districts school schedule somewhat. I have an older daughter in the public HS so it makes sense for them to have the same days off. However I'm just using that as a guide and definitely not anything set in stone. Luckily though November & December are months that the kids don't spend much time in school anyway with Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years.

My oldest is 15 and should be a pretty big help while she's home on vacation. With this being our 1st yr. doing homeschool I have decided I'm going to take it slow. I want to work on lots of review anyhow - flash cards to really make sure she has a solid foundation in math with multiplication & division. She has missed a lot in public school and was just being pushed ahead regardless of learning the information. It got to the point where she missed so many fundamental building blocks that it was becoming almost impossible to grasp the new info.

I know it will be tough but I'm up for the challenge and like you said, I'm trying my best to just remind myself that it's okay to take it slow - as long as were learning I'm happy - I don't want to get overwhelmed with a strict schedule right away.

Quoting NightSky1701: Congratulations! Unfortunately I don't have any good tips for you. It was hard but we made it through. I switched her to time4learning for the last few months of 1st grade and supplemented it with our own science and social studies books. To behonest though, I've decided social studies is a waste of time so now in our third year, I've thrown it out and designed my own curriculum which is more centered on history and geography. Don't stress about it though. One of the benefits of homeschooling is that you aren't on anybody's schedule. If you get a little behind on something, you have plenty of opportunity to catch up. Newborn babies require a lot of time and attention and cuddling but that stage only lasts a few months so try to enjoy it!

Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Thank you, I'll definitely be looking into this!

Quoting MamaLauri:

Newborns take lots of energy. Try to plan your daughter's program 6 months out, before your baby comes. With ADD she needs one concept per page, like flashcards. Worksheets with more than 3 items per page will frequently lose them.

Try out the activites on this site. Special emphasis is placed on special child and special adults. But the site promotes joyful learning for all, and for older folks, cognitive and executive function maintenance.

Web sitehttp://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html

Recomended Age Group: 3-103 years old

Brief Description: Multi-sensory games and activities to develop cognitive (reading, writing, math, critical thinking), social, and executive function skills. Including Read-Along Songbooks: a delightful way to build your reading skills. Tell-Me-A-Story Picture and Book of Pictures Develop your creative thinking and writing, by writing your own stories with these fanciful pictures. Read-Along Math Rap Songs to build your math skills. Read-Along Phonics Storybooks to build your phonics and reading skills. Read-Along Storybook Classics to build your vocabulary and love of reading. Read-Along Nursery Rhymes to build your phonics skills and love of words.  Letter and Number Fun including Letter Sounds, Letter Sound Songs, Word Building, and Alpha Animals to build your phonics skills. Learn to print Small Letters, Capital Letters, and Numbers animations. As well as Math, Memory, and Strategy Games for Everyone: Battleship, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Sudoku, Sudoku for Beginners (4x4), Sudoku Jr (6x6), Snakes & Ladders, Tick Tac Toe, Yahtz 'A Dice, Picture Challenges, Concentration Challenges, I Know How You Feel - Games for People with Emotion Blindness, Alexithymia. About Face - Games for People with Face Blindness, Prosopagnosia.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM

My daughter wasn't a huge fan of Time 4 Learning. She preferred Reading Eggs and Math Seeds.

NightSky1701
by Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 8:05 AM

We used Reading Eggs in Kindergarten and I LOVED it! My daughter outgrew it but I plan to use it again for preschool for my son.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

My daughter wasn't a huge fan of Time 4 Learning. She preferred Reading Eggs and Math Seeds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)