Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Extra-curriculars/Clubs

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do your kids do them?

My son is thinking about joining Chess Club.

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM

My kiddos do 4H, are in plays with a children's theater, and will probably be on a winter swim team, but they haven't completely committed themselves to it yet, so we'll see...otherwise we'll be doing swim clinics instead. We might be doing an archery club this year too... lots and lots to choose from. I just have to figure out how all these schedules will work now :/ 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:35 PM

We do and have done many things over the years.

DD is a Girl Scout.  The boys are in Boy Scouts. DS2 is talking of quitting but I at least want him to finish his next rank. We will see.

They are all Antlers. It is a youth community service and social club through the Elks Lodge.

DD may start 4H. If DS2 quits Boy scouts, I may REQUIRE him to do 4H.  do NOT want him sitting home all the time.

A lot of sports are just out of our budget ince we just bought a new house. We have done BMX racing, Karate, gymnastics, Parkour, Bowling league, Swim team, ...I am sure there are more!

They did a chess club for a while and got bored. We are loing into a Robotics team through our homeschool group .Right now they are forming a  Lego Robotix team but my boys are too old for it. We will ee if they come up with a high school team.

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 2:56 PM

My girls are in a craft group that meets once or twice a month.  We are also part of a speed skating team (we do that 3 days a week and getting ready to increase that), and we hang out with other homeschoolers when we get the chance.

We are looking to start a lego meet up group to hang out and build....but I have to get a little more unpacking done before we can do that.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Yes, they do... or, rather, they will be. Some things haven't started for the season/year yet.

DD-13:

Hip hop

Ballet

Piano lessons

Yearbook Club

Little Women (a Catholic girls' club)

Religion Class

DS-5:

Ballet

Tap

Piano lessons

Classically Catholic Memory - Beta

DS-2:

Toddler/preschool PE

Bolded are classes/clubs taken through co-op; the not bolded are things they take otherwise, elsewhere.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

firefay
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM

My kids do absolutely nothing but stay home with me all the time! 

Decemberlov
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:23 PM

My daughter starts a cartooning class next Wednesday. So far this is all we have planned. Oh, and there is also a once a month Homeschool Skate meet up at the local skating rink.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 6:04 AM
Co-ops, karate, young birders club, junior naturalist, gymnastics, and various classes that come up along the way.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 1, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Actually, we've never done that, but my kids were/are pretty active in the neighborhood. Always have been. They play all the sports. When they are not playing sports in the neighborhood, they are either doing school or working, depending on which age group we are talking about.
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM
I am trying to figure it out. I think we will do soccer, gymnastics and hip hop for mu oldest two. The other three do awanas. What is 4H?
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 5:28 PM

we did a homeschool chess club last year, but it met very infrequently and was a far drive for me. I"m kidn of hoping I can start up my own by inviting some similar aged kids who's parents I"ve met.

My boys do scouts. One does archery (it's private lessons as a facility, not too expensive). I enrolled them both in a First Lego League team, and I hope it works out as it's a big committment and was a little expensive to join and we don't know anyone in it. Dd does dance and girl scouts.

Last year younder ds did lacrosse thru the town league but it was a bust and we hated the competition and driving to all-day-long, round-robin games. We did swim lessons, but we're kind of past hte need for lessons but dont' want to commit to the swim team - which means going 3x a week plus meets on weekends... just a lot of swimming and we kind of aren't into doing things more than 1x a week! We also did a homeschool gym class at a Y, which was ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN