Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi Everyone!

New HS mom here with a question about reading. My little guy recognizes all upper and lower cases, and knows their sounds.

What is the next step to reading- sight words? Sounding out small words? Is there a resp that teaches you how to teach them to read?

TIA!
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Ring Around The Phonics teaches phonics, reading and blending.  When their first 8 sounds, they should be able to read their first early reader books (Ring Around The Phonics early readers, Bob Books, or public school early readers).  When they learn 6 more, they read their second early reader....so on and so on. 

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

From there I would start with letter blends.  A consonant and a vowel (usually a short vowel).  I would look like ba, be, bi, bo and bu.  I would do this with all the consonants and then move to adding a letter at the end and creating a CVC word.  You can also start working on sight words.  We used Pre School Prep Series....Meet the Sight words.  I didn't care for it...but my DD got a lot out of it.  We followed this pattern and she was reading before she turned 4.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

The next step would be CVC words (consonant-vowel-consonant) like cat, tip, hot, etc.  Sight words can be more difficult to learn since they don't follow the sound rules, so it can be helpful to teach the sight words after the basics are mastered.

Working through a mastery-based program could be a good choice.  If your son enjoys audio-visual or computer based programs, I have several free online reading programs listed at: http://learningabledkids.com/reading/online-interactive-reading-games-and-programs.htm  

We used paid programs -- Earobics and Lexia Reading.  Since they are designed to go through the entire process of teaching reading and they are mastery based programs, they progressed at each of my guys' rates of learning. 

MamaLauri
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Check out http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html It has multi-sensory games and activities to develop cognitive (reading, writing, math, critical thinking), social, and executive function skills. Including Read-Along Songbooks: a delightful way to build your reading skills. Tell-Me-A-Story Picture and Book of Pictures Develop your creative thinking and writing, by writing your own stories with these fanciful pictures. Read-Along Phonics Storybooks to build your phonics and reading skills. Read-Along Storybook Classics to build your vocabulary and love of reading. Read-Along Nursery Rhymes to build your phonics skills and love of words.  Letter and Number Fun including Letter Sounds, Letter Sound Songs, Word Building, and Alpha Animals to build your phonics skills. Learn to print Small Letters, Capital Letters, and Numbers animations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)