Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Feeling nervous, is this normal?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is my first (and probably my only) year homeschooling my DD and it's for pre-k. Today I received her workbooks that I ordered from Barnes and Noble, for some reason this made me super nervous! I just have this anxious feeling that this is going to be a fail or I'm not going to teach her all she needs to know and come kindergarten she's going to be behind or need more help then others. She knows the alphabet, recognizes upper and lower case letters, counts to 20, knows her shapes, shares with other kids wonderfully, is more outgoing then I could ever hope to be (lol) and I plan to work with her on tracing letters, recognizing her name and cutting  as well. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but we live in NY and we have Common Core Learning starting in kindergarten and apparently people are saying kindergarten is the new 1st grade and that also has me panicking. Could you tell that I can work myself into a panic at the drop of the hat? Is being worried normal, anyone else feeling a little anxious?

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Whoa! Relax and breathe. First off, you can't screw her up. You clearly have already "homeschooled" her. So What's the difference now?

Just out of curiosity, why would this be your only year to homeschool?
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this
Oh, and to address the nervous issue, honestly, once you get into the mindset that educating your kids is just an extension of parenting, you realize it's just normal living, nothing to be nervous about. Who taught your child how to walk,talk, dress themselves, use a spoon, to play nice, say please and Thank you? You did. So how is that any different than reading to your child, experimenting with numbers, showing them the wonders of nature? That all educating is.
KChinapps
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I wouldn't mind homeschooling her after this because I think the benefits out way the cons. But we live in the country (our closest grocery store is over 45 minutes away) and no one around has kids my daughters age, so the social interaction she gets is usually only on the weekends when she sees our extended family (her cousins) or when we go to Chuck E Cheese and she gets to play with kids her own age.

Quoting Leissaintexas: Whoa! Relax and breathe. First off, you can't screw her up. You clearly have already "homeschooled" her. So What's the difference now? Just out of curiosity, why would this be your only year to homeschool?

MoNKeyBoyz
by New Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM

When I lived in NY, they didn't "require" Kindergarten. I chose to homeschool because I didn't want him to get behind. We left that state before first grade.

My advice would be to try to set up a parent conference with the school and one of their Kindergarten teachers. I bet they could relieve some of your fears.

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with only hanging out with kids on the weekends.  That's pretty much the only time mine get to spend time with friends.  Remember that "school" is the ONLY time in life that children will be "forced" to spend time with people their own age.  When you go to college you meet and interact with people of all different ages and backgrounds.  When people become adults their peers are not necessarily their age....they are peers by having the same interests.  My ODD has friends that range in age from toddlers to adults that are in their 60's because of the activities that she participates in.

FYI....you DD is doing better NOW than a friend of mine's DD and she went to VPK.  She has started K and can't do most of what you listed.  I think the system is failing these children.

Take this year and teach her what she needs beyond what she knows and then decide whether next year will be an option.

Quoting KChinapps:

I wouldn't mind homeschooling her after this because I think the benefits out way the cons. But we live in the country (our closest grocery store is over 45 minutes away) and no one around has kids my daughters age, so the social interaction she gets is usually only on the weekends when she sees our extended family (her cousins) or when we go to Chuck E Cheese and she gets to play with kids her own age.

Quoting Leissaintexas: Whoa! Relax and breathe. First off, you can't screw her up. You clearly have already "homeschooled" her. So What's the difference now? Just out of curiosity, why would this be your only year to homeschool?

KChinapps
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

This makes me feel so much better! My DD loves to play with kids and is not shy at all which is one thing that I'm not worried about when she enters kindergarten. When I was my DD age I was very shy and didn't make friends easily so kindergarten was pretty hard for me but after a few months I opened up to my peers with ease and I'm happy that she won't have the same experiences as I did. My mother-in-law is very against homeschooling at any age for any reason and her doubts do nag at my subconscious even though I do try to ignore her. Thanks so much for easing my mind a bit!

Quoting coala:

There is nothing wrong with only hanging out with kids on the weekends.  That's pretty much the only time mine get to spend time with friends.  Remember that "school" is the ONLY time in life that children will be "forced" to spend time with people their own age.  When you go to college you meet and interact with people of all different ages and backgrounds.  When people become adults their peers are not necessarily their age....they are peers by having the same interests.  My ODD has friends that range in age from toddlers to adults that are in their 60's because of the activities that she participates in.

FYI....you DD is doing better NOW than a friend of mine's DD and she went to VPK.  She has started K and can't do most of what you listed.  I think the system is failing these children.

Take this year and teach her what she needs beyond what she knows and then decide whether next year will be an option.

Quoting KChinapps:

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You can't let your family dictate the decisons that you make.  You have to choose what is best for your child.  My own mother was against homeschooling in the beginning, but that didn't stop me....it just made me want to prove her wrong....and boy does she regret saying those things now.  My MIL is very supportive and I doubted myself alot those first several months.  Be patient and find some playgroups or meetups with other homeschoolers in your area.  You are going to meet a lot of wonderful people that can give you different perspectives from their experiences.

Quoting KChinapps:

This makes me feel so much better! My DD loves to play with kids and is not shy at all which is one thing that I'm not worried about when she enters kindergarten. When I was my DD age I was very shy and didn't make friends easily so kindergarten was pretty hard for me but after a few months I opened up to my peers with ease and I'm happy that she won't have the same experiences as I did. My mother-in-law is very against homeschooling at any age for any reason and her doubts do nag at my subconscious even though I do try to ignore her. Thanks so much for easing my mind a bit!

Quoting coala:

Quoting KChinapps:

MamaLauri
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Being nervous is normal for those who care. It sounds like she is doing wonderful with what you have been doing informally. NY pretested very poorly on the CC (something like 37% passed).So is freaking out after taking fed funds for nearly 10 years.

In general homeschooled kids do better than public schooled kids. Don't let the NY ed folks scare you.You will do fine.

KChinapps
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Thank you, that really does make me feel less stressed. I bought a few things for her today (glue, pencils and scissors) and that got me excited again because I am looking forward to teaching her things (especially to read, at least sight words). Yes, I've been hearing a lot about CC and none of it is very positive, especially when you're child is going to be in kindergarten soon.

Quoting MamaLauri:

Being nervous is normal for those who care. It sounds like she is doing wonderful with what you have been doing informally. NY pretested very poorly on the CC (something like 37% passed).So is freaking out after taking fed funds for nearly 10 years.

In general homeschooled kids do better than public schooled kids. Don't let the NY ed folks scare you.You will do fine.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah sweetly, of course your nervous and if course it is normal! Right now You are the best one for this job as you will be there to teach her with love and care and show her and give to her the love and excitement to learn as she grows into adulthood. You will be able to guide her as she needs when she needs it. Enjoy this time and she will too. You can do this, I promise. You've been her "teacher" her whole life! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)