Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

large family=4 kids=homeschooled?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM
  • 22 Replies
I ran into a lady in the park the other day. She asked who my kids were and I pointed out my 4 kids. She asked me then if I homeschool. She said she noticed that large families tend.to homeschool. I dont find that very true honestly. What do you think?
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StaciF
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM
2 moms liked this
It's quite normal where I live to homeschool - even with less than 4 kids. I have 4 kids with 2 more on the way and I homeschool - but I don't think it's necessary to just assume 4+ kids automatically equals homeschooled
JadeTigr7
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

All the large families I know homeschool, and a few of the smaller families.  But, I know some people who have large families (just not in person) who don't homeschool.

GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think size has anything to do with it. I grew up in a family with 4 kids and I honestly think of it as normal sized. Lol! We were homeschooled and later went to public. I grew up with a best friend that was from a family with 7 kids and they all went only to public school. Where we are the majority of people send their kids to public school and have families of all sizes. Most of the homeschooled families I have met only have 1 or 2 kids.

MommaTurbo
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I'm from northern Utah (land of the Mormons) where 8+ kids is normal. I dont know that there was a higher percentage of homeschooled families there. 

collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:45 PM
There's rarely families here with more than 3 kids (San Francisco area), yet there are 50+ kids at the weekly park play date
Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Lol, yeah, i live in los angeles county, sounds like us too!

Quoting collinsmommy0: There's rarely families here with more than 3 kids (San Francisco area), yet there are 50+ kids at the weekly park play date
NoraDun
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it varies. Here not many people have big families. And for the ones that do half of them homeschool half dont. People tell me all the time how crazy I am for homeschooling! I have 4 

MamaLauri
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I think people with large families are more likely to hold traditional family values, be more concerned about education, and are more likely to have SAHM. Those together might lead to more homeschooling.

People with fewer child can also feel the same way.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Hm, I have four and I don't think it's a large family. Lol

Anyway, at co op we see large families but I would say a good 75 percent have 3 kids or less.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure.

I know that many, if not most of the homeschoolers have large families (defined here as 3+ children), but that is not to say that all of the large families I know also homeschool. KWIM?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)