Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

All About Reading & All About Spelling...

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

I know it is recommended to first complete All About Reading Level 1 and then follow it with All About Spelling Level 1...but has anyone used them both at the same time?

by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM
I don't use these programs myself but maybe someone else here does and can help you. :)
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:16 PM
I LOVE All About Spelling! Has been great for DD.

We started it before AAR came out and DD was older but needed to strengthen her spelling so we didnt start it until she was 4th grade. We have been doing 2-3 books a year.
collinsmommy0
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I thought you did them at the same time? The sounds/words are supposed to match (or that's what I heard)
NoraDun
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Maybe I need to look into this for my son, he is 4th grade and a horrible speller! 

MamaLauri
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I do not know about that program, but reading/writing/spelling should blend. Starting at pre-K. Read to me should be combined with lets Tell a story, every day by 1st grade if not before. Spelling should be combined with phonics and sight word lessons. They re-enforce each other.

You can check out Tell Me A Story lesson plan and Read Along Books and Songbooks at http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/TellMe.html

and

http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/Bookshelf.html

MamaLauri
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:03 AM

If he is a horrible speller work more on phonics and visual sight words. Does he learn visually?

Quoting NoraDun:

Maybe I need to look into this for my son, he is 4th grade and a horrible speller! 

AJ_Parks
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM
We use them at the same time.
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM
We do all about spelling
NoraDun
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I actually have hired him a tutor I am going to see if she can help him progress!! He was a slow reader and he has only really started reading well in the past 6 months. But his spelling has yet to improve. He is ADHD so his learning style varies on his attention and mood. But I have tried many different ways without luck. He is doing a second grade spectrum spelling right now and does ok. I took a step back assuming maybe we just need to start slow! He gets really annoyed with me as well when he has to learn a word that doesn't make since. If he can't sound it out he thinks its stupid LOL 

Quoting MamaLauri:

If he is a horrible speller work more on phonics and visual sight words. Does he learn visually?

Quoting NoraDun:

Bethbeth
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:56 PM

yes, that is what the author recommends. So you would start AAR 2 and AAS 1 at the same time. But of course, YOU are the teacher so you get to decide what you will actually do!

There is a forum on the website where you can ask questions and they give you pretty helpful answers straight from the author and her staff. You could ask for advice from them there if you want, since it looks like most of the people who have commented for you here do not know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN