Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Pregnancy brain-1 Me-0

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:58 PM
  • 20 Replies

So I spent the day planning and printing everything needed for the upcoming school week. I usually do this on Sunday, but since it was a 3-day weekend I decided to relax yesterday. Well I was almost done with everything when i realized i had planned a 5-day week instead of a 4-day week. I am blaming pregnancy brain lol. So there was not a lot planned for on the last day so we will be doing a little schooling on Saturday because right now that is easier than trying to change everything to a 4-day week.

Anyone else get messed up with because of Labor Day? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I always plan 5 day weeks....and I do this 6 weeks at a time.  We took off last monday for a fun project at a friends house...so we made that day up on Sunday.  We took yesterday off to go to another friend's pool party for Labor day.  We have 5 lessons before the end of our semester.....we are going to be working on Saturday or Sunday, unless my girls want to double up one day this week.  They are supposed to have the whole week off next week and I don't think they want to do a makeup day on Monday.  When we start back we have 4 weeks until our school year is over.....YAY!!!

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 8:57 AM

My son thrives on routine so we don't take the Monday holidays off usually it's more trouble than it's worth because he is often fussing to do school on the weekend an extra day off would be worse. But I used to do it all the time when I taught public school! Really is aggravating.

rmgriffberg
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM

when does your school year begin?

Quoting coala:

I always plan 5 day weeks....and I do this 6 weeks at a time.  We took off last monday for a fun project at a friends house...so we made that day up on Sunday.  We took yesterday off to go to another friend's pool party for Labor day.  We have 5 lessons before the end of our semester.....we are going to be working on Saturday or Sunday, unless my girls want to double up one day this week.  They are supposed to have the whole week off next week and I don't think they want to do a makeup day on Monday.  When we start back we have 4 weeks until our school year is over.....YAY!!!

rmgriffberg
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I have had hyperemesis this pregnancy (really extreme morning sickness, this time i was admitted to the hospital for 4 days). so we have had to be flexible with our school year so far. thankfully my kids have been very understanding. i am finally feeling better so i am hopeful we can get a normal routine going.

Quoting Molimomma:

My son thrives on routine so we don't take the Monday holidays off usually it's more trouble than it's worth because he is often fussing to do school on the weekend an extra day off would be worse. But I used to do it all the time when I taught public school! Really is aggravating.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I'm hoping my son grows out of his almost obsessive need for routine but I'm not holding my breath. He has mild SPD and does not deal with change well at all. We are going to the beach this weekend to visit the a TX State aquarium and his first trip to the beach. I told him about it a month ago and he talks about it constantly(he doesn't have a good sense of time and needs reassurance often). I've lost track of how many times we've looked at the hotel's website for pictures of the room, the aquarium's website at the map...and he tells me at least once a week how "we are only sleeping in the hotel ONE night. Just 1 that's all." I know he'll have a good time and is looking forward to it but I also totally expect tears at bedtime because it's not his room or his bed.

glad your kids are being flexible for you and look at it this way, better to have an extra day planned than not enough!

Quoting rmgriffberg:

I have had hyperemesis this pregnancy (really extreme morning sickness, this time i was admitted to the hospital for 4 days). so we have had to be flexible with our school year so far. thankfully my kids have been very understanding. i am finally feeling better so i am hopeful we can get a normal routine going.

Quoting Molimomma:

rmgriffberg
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM

My oldest has SPD too. he is 5 and he has gotten a lot better over the last year. we use to have to explain everything, any change in routine would result in craziness, he would randomly run into walls and doors because he was seeking input. any new textures/ getting messy would have him freaking out. he did therapy through the school for a year, and then another year 1 time a week through he school instead of daily. that really helped. the teachers really worked with helping him adjust to changes in routine. we still need to prepare him for big trips, and sometimes we need to go back to some of the stuff we learned when he was in therapy, but that is getting less and less often :)

Quoting Molimomma:

I'm hoping my son grows out of his almost obsessive need for routine but I'm not holding my breath. He has mild SPD and does not deal with change well at all. We are going to the beach this weekend to visit the a TX State aquarium and his first trip to the beach. I told him about it a month ago and he talks about it constantly(he doesn't have a good sense of time and needs reassurance often). I've lost track of how many times we've looked at the hotel's website for pictures of the room, the aquarium's website at the map...and he tells me at least once a week how "we are only sleeping in the hotel ONE night. Just 1 that's all." I know he'll have a good time and is looking forward to it but I also totally expect tears at bedtime because it's not his room or his bed.

glad your kids are being flexible for you and look at it this way, better to have an extra day planned than not enough!

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting Molimomma:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't take the Monday holidays. We actually had our first day yesterday! But I have had my share of pregnancy brain moments...and I haven't been pregnant in 12 years, lol.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Ah, then you understand my world. He's better than he used to be and honestly I'm so excited he's officially fully potty trained now nothing seems that big of a deal anymore but his obsessing can be exhausting. The hyper focus on one thing can be a blessing AND a curse on any given day. My husband us working overnights this week too so trying to keep him quiet so daddy can sleep is adding serious tension in the house. I'll be glad to get to Friday.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

My oldest has SPD too. he is 5 and he has gotten a lot better over the last year. we use to have to explain everything, any change in routine would result in craziness, he would randomly run into walls and doors because he was seeking input. any new textures/ getting messy would have him freaking out. he did therapy through the school for a year, and then another year 1 time a week through he school instead of daily. that really helped. the teachers really worked with helping him adjust to changes in routine. we still need to prepare him for big trips, and sometimes we need to go back to some of the stuff we learned when he was in therapy, but that is getting less and less often :)

Quoting Molimomma:

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting Molimomma:

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM

We start the first Monday after New Year's Day and go until mid-October.  We take a 1 week break every 6 weeks.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

when does your school year begin?

Quoting coala:

rmgriffberg
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM

oh yes the potty training! ODS was 4.5 before he started getting it, but once he got it he was fully potty trained withing a month :)
good luck during the rest of the week! does your ds like painting or coloring? if i need some quiet i can usually get it for a bit with coloring or supervised painting.

Quoting Molimomma:

Ah, then you understand my world. He's better than he used to be and honestly I'm so excited he's officially fully potty trained now nothing seems that big of a deal anymore but his obsessing can be exhausting. The hyper focus on one thing can be a blessing AND a curse on any given day. My husband us working overnights this week too so trying to keep him quiet so daddy can sleep is adding serious tension in the house. I'll be glad to get to Friday.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting Molimomma:

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Quoting Molimomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN