Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How in the world????

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM
  • 14 Replies
I have only an 8yo dd.
how do you moms keep your child focused and involved.
It feels like no matter what I do my girl just doesn't care. She won't listen. Won't participate.
Won't stay focused. Constantly moves, plays, taps her pencil, does anything and everything except following the instructions given to her.
This year is very hands on and Im participating and working with her more heavily this year in hopes that she would improve her focus and self control.
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I have found that one of mine can't have anything in her reach or she can't focus.  I have another who is 6 and has to have something to fidget with to focus.  It depends on the child.  If she needs to use an object to focus then find one that won't annoy the snot out of you.  You have to work with her because her needs are important just as well as getting that information into her.  My oldest is 8.

MSLsSilly
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Did she go to public school at all, before you started homeschooling? Both my boys went to pubic school until they were 8 and 10 and I have found that, unless I have a classroom setting, they can't focus. I've tried getting rid of the "classroom" and noticed they weren't paying as much attention to their studies so I set up a classroom again and they started doing a lot better. So, in my case, I think my kids work better in a more structured environment?

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM

With my 8 yo I got one of those squeeze balls for him to use when he is working.  It helps keep him focused and strengthens the muscles in his left hand, so it is a win-win for me. 

Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
We do short lessons, and lots of wiggle breaks.
honeybea3
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, she was PS for the last part of Kindergarten. She went to a PreK at a Christian school then I started off HS for Kindergarten but had to end up working due to some life changes so she was in PS for nearly 3 years. I do have the area we work in set up like a classroom as best as we are able. She has a desk and the walls are plastered with maps and school type stuff.

Quoting MSLsSilly:

Did she go to public school at all, before you started homeschooling? Both my boys went to pubic school until they were 8 and 10 and I have found that, unless I have a classroom setting, they can't focus. I've tried getting rid of the "classroom" and noticed they weren't paying as much attention to their studies so I set up a classroom again and they started doing a lot better. So, in my case, I think my kids work better in a more structured environment?

MSLsSilly
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe have her write a list of things she enjoys (wants to learn) and include that into her studies somehow? It is hard because every kid is different. ((hugs))

ChristineTate
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Ask for her input about what she would like to do for homeschooling.  When I asked my daughter, she told me she wanted to sit outside on the porch and do school work there instead of being in the house.  Simple fix, but nothing I ever would have come up with on my own.  Let her get invested in the solution.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I tried that at the beginning of our school year....and my then 5 1/2 yo took a bite out of it.  Seriously, this isn't food!!!  We had to find something else or she was going to add things to her diet that she doesn't need.  LOL

Quoting kmath:

With my 8 yo I got one of those squeeze balls for him to use when he is working.  It helps keep him focused and strengthens the muscles in his left hand, so it is a win-win for me. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh man!  LOL, thankfully D has never mistaken it for food.  He does try to juggle with it, which is fine until he forgets his pencil is in the other hand and stabs himself trying to catch the ball.

Quoting coala:

I tried that at the beginning of our school year....and my then 5 1/2 yo took a bite out of it.  Seriously, this isn't food!!!  We had to find something else or she was going to add things to her diet that she doesn't need.  LOL

Quoting kmath:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Honestly I taught them not to complain. I told them if someone is wrong come to me and explain their problem and we can change things around. Complain and you only get more of the same. I want to get in the habit of communicating without complaining like we are supposed to do as adults. I also give them choices in what we are learning. We also do a lot of reading together especially read alouds. If they need a break we watch a documentary, go outside and read books together. My kids are very curious so I try and follow their interests and my curriculum choices follows that philosophy. I think when it comes to school work finding a way to create an interest in the subject goes a long way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)