Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

well, i guess I am the worst mom ever....

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 1:29 AM
  • 14 Replies
According to my 7/8 yr old son Damien.

Today he hurt himself, a teeny tiny scratch and I didnt jump right up to help. when he gets a small scratch etc. He acts as if its the end of the world, so I tend to not jump up to see if he's ok. Well, i think his feelings were hurt. Then after dinner were going to go to the park. Well, his tire got a flat yesterday and so I said i would see if pumping it would help. I asked him to keep an eye on his 1 yr old sister. Well, less tgan a minute later my 6 yr old decided to put her in the couch, she fell and I came running. She got a huge bump on her forehead. I got mad and yelled at them both because I tell them all day long to NOT put her on the couch. Well, after that ordeal, we all went outside to get ready and I pumped the tire....it was still flat. Well, he had a huge fit/meltdown. He was crying, screaming etc. It was bad! We came home, had some ice cream and told storied and Damien was fine, playing and having fun telling the story. Then it was bedtime, and all of a sudden his scratch hurt from earlier that day. He was crying and yelling at me. I couldnt handle it anymore so I sent him to my room so his brothers and sister could fall asleep. Finally i had him call his dad to talk, and then he was off to bed. Well, just now he says he's hungry. Usually i say, sorry, its bedtime. But today i gave him three options. He hated them all and had another meltdown, and said that i am the worst mom ever. Sigh.....i dont know what to do with that kid!
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 3, 2014 at 3:08 AM
2 moms liked this
If I dont piss off at least one kid per day...I must not be home! LOL Damned if ya do....damned if ya don't.

Sounds like you are doing fine and DS needs some coping skills. With the scratch, have you taught hom basic first aid? Stress how he can be a big boy and take care of it with so.e soap, water n bandaids and Mom will be happy to check it after.

I personally would have skipped a sugary treat with a kid who was having so many issues through the day. Do you have any kind of reward/incentive program in place to help limit tantrums and fits? Go x time without screaming, fits, etc or compete so many assignments with a positive attitude and earn...
ChristineTate
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 8:26 AM

You know you're a mom when you get called the worst mom ever!  Welcome to the club.  :)  When my daughter does it I point out all the things her other friends moms don't do for their children that I do for her (i.e. they won't homeschool and send their kids to public school).  Brings her back down to reality.  I've also been known to calmly remind her it's OK to communicate and express herself, but we don't need the drama. 

StaciF
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this
Get in line!! I'm working hard at worst mom of the year if you ask mine :)
FallMama
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I do the exact same thing with my older DD.  I just agree that I'm such a bad mom for homeschooling her and taking her on trips all the time to do fun things, etc.  It always deflates her anger, she rolls her eyes at my sarcasm, and then we're good.

Quoting ChristineTate:

You know you're a mom when you get called the worst mom ever!  Welcome to the club.  :)  When my daughter does it I point out all the things her other friends moms don't do for their children that I do for her (i.e. they won't homeschool and send their kids to public school).  Brings her back down to reality.  I've also been known to calmly remind her it's OK to communicate and express herself, but we don't need the drama. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM
My kids are sensitive as well. Sensitive kids are tricky. My sensitive kids can get their feelings hurt easily but they also have huge hearts. Also I taught my kids to talk about feelings with me rather than speaking or act out in anger. The older they get they easier it becomes. They still have relapses. My son the other day got his feelings hurt when I didn't come see his hard work right away and asked him to leave the room. His brother was getting frustrated with his math and needed some alone time while I was talking to him. We talked it out and he understood afterwards. Hang in there!
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Yeah, i make a rule that no TV until all chores and scho.is done. The fits didnt start until after dinner time.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: If I dont piss off at least one kid per day...I must not be home! LOL Damned if ya do....damned if ya don't.

Sounds like you are doing fine and DS needs some coping skills. With the scratch, have you taught hom basic first aid? Stress how he can be a big boy and take care of it with so.e soap, water n bandaids and Mom will be happy to check it after.

I personally would have skipped a sugary treat with a kid who was having so many issues through the day. Do you have any kind of reward/incentive program in place to help limit tantrums and fits? Go x time without screaming, fits, etc or compete so many assignments with a positive attitude and earn...
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Yes, we are trying to work on expressing in an appropriate way, that did not happen last night obviously. I did mention all the special things he has and gets....of course to him it doesnt count when he is mad.

Quoting ChristineTate:

Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Yeah, i am still tryingbro figure out how ro teach him this....and its hard right now, he is so needy and i feel the other kids are getting put to the side because of it.

Quoting jen2150: My kids are sensitive as well. Sensitive kids are tricky. My sensitive kids can get their feelings hurt easily but they also have huge hearts. Also I taught my kids to talk about feelings with me rather than speaking or act out in anger. The older they get they easier it becomes. They still have relapses. My son the other day got his feelings hurt when I didn't come see his hard work right away and asked him to leave the room. His brother was getting frustrated with his math and needed some alone time while I was talking to him. We talked it out and he understood afterwards. Hang in there!
jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM
It takes time and some take longer than others. My son is almost 11 and sometimes still stuggles at times and other times he is showing great progress. Make sure you don't attend to his "needs" too much. I hate to say this sensitive kids can suck you dry if you let them. They need to learn to self regulate their emotions as well. It can be tough when to know to give them extra attention or when to help them self regulate.

Quoting Precious333: Yeah, i am still tryingbro figure out how ro teach him this....and its hard right now, he is so needy and i feel the other kids are getting put to the side because of it.

Quoting jen2150: My kids are sensitive as well. Sensitive kids are tricky. My sensitive kids can get their feelings hurt easily but they also have huge hearts. Also I taught my kids to talk about feelings with me rather than speaking or act out in anger. The older they get they easier it becomes. They still have relapses. My son the other day got his feelings hurt when I didn't come see his hard work right away and asked him to leave the room. His brother was getting frustrated with his math and needed some alone time while I was talking to him. We talked it out and he understood afterwards. Hang in there!
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Thank you for saying that! I keep on wondering if I am being too attentive sometimes or not enough. I certainly feel sucked dry and I dont want to resent him for it. I never thought I woukd worry about resenting my own child....

Quoting jen2150: It takes time and some take longer than others. My son is almost 11 and sometimes still stuggles at times and other times he is showing great progress. Make sure you don't attend to his "needs" too much. I hate to say this sensitive kids can suck you dry if you let them. They need to learn to self regulate their emotions as well. It can be tough when to know to give them extra attention or when to help them self regulate.

Quoting Precious333: Yeah, i am still tryingbro figure out how ro teach him this....and its hard right now, he is so needy and i feel the other kids are getting put to the side because of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN