Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling Only 3 Hours A Day?? How??

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2014 at 9:33 PM
  • 50 Replies

I've heard a lot about some homeschooling mothers who only homeschool 3 hours a day and I just don't understand how it's possible!

We start around 9am each day and then end up finishing between 4 & 5pm with only an hour break for lunch. (We are working on 1st grade if that matters)

We start each morning working on our journals & pen pal letters which takes about 30minutes. Then I work with one girl on reading for 30-45minutes while the other girl is doing an educational computer game and then we switch. Break for lunch and come back for history. Take turns for math. Come back for science and then handwriting or health, followed by art or creative writing.

My husband thinks we are lasting too long but I don't think I could teach everything in any less time than what we take.

For those that homeschool in 3 hours, how do you do it??

by on Sep. 4, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheScaryOne
by New Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't do every subject at once. We started that way at first but I quickly found out this is where school was failing my kids. We take between 3-5 hours depending on what we have set for the day. The only real constant we have is reading. We also don't have a reason to do summer vacation so school is spread out to year round. A typical day starts with a worksheet pack, followed by reading and then computer games. Some medical delays slowed us down last year so we're nearly done with 1st and 2nd grade, will take a short break and then move on to 2nd and 3rd.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never had a 3 hour school day. Especially because of all the interruptions. Lol
bekaanne0524
by Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM
I don't know how you keep your kids focused that long! My son's doing kindergarten and we go 2-2.5 hours a day. By the end he is very done (granted young boys tend to have shorter attention spans).

Bible- 10-15 minutes depending on what craft we do
Math- about 20 minutes
Reading- 20 minutes
Writing- 10 minutes (if we go too long he gets frustrated when he can't do it perfectly)
Science- that just happens throughout the day. This year we are taking an unschooling approach to science
Geography- 10 minutes
Fine motor skills work- 15 minutes
Story time: 15 minutes
Computer games to supplement math and reading: 20 minutes
bekaanne0524
by Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM
I should say that even though those times don't seem like much I've seen plenty of learning happen in the last 2.5 weeks. I definitely wasn't expecting him to learn his math as quickly as he is!
GodsAmiga
by Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM

We don't do every subject every day either. :-) This year I am going to be doing Bible lessons together and then reading lessons with my kindergartener every day while my 1st grader copies and practices her "spelling" words (it isn't really spelling but words she may have had trouble reading-we practice going over the spelling rules of the words and she writes them down a few times to help solidify it for her). Then on Monday and Wednesday I am thinking we will do math and science. Tuesday and Thursday will be Social Studies/history. Friday will be our fun lapbook studies, art projects, and creative writing for my 1st grader. :-)

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM

We average about 4 hours a day.  We don't do every subject everyday though.  He tends to fly through Math and Science unless there is an experiment or something in depth we need to cover.  History takes a while because it is mostly reading.  Writing takes the longest because he absolutely hates it.  Most subjects take 30 min tops.

Jenn8604
by Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Holy freaking cow. How? Until hs I never took more than 3-4 hours. We started at 9 and were done by 12:00-12:30. 1:00 at the latest. Once I was done by 10:15. That the included the pledge, 3-4 pages in math, phonics, Bible, history, science, reading a chapter, art, P.E. this was thru Christian Liberty Academy. We never started til Mid September. Took every holiday the public schools did, and were done by the beginning of April.

Ds (autistic) just does the Scholastic and Brainquest books at home. He does ABA, VBmapp, RDI, and Verbal behavioral therapy from 8:30-2:30.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaof697
by Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM

It takes me longer than 3 hrs but I teach history, science, health together for everyone

jjchick75
by Member on Sep. 4, 2014 at 10:35 PM
We start at about 9 and finish about 12:30. My 6 year old would never be able to sit still as long as you work. It would turn into a major melt down. We don't do every subject every day either. We do math, reading, and writing every day. We do science Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We do History Tuesday and Thursday. Art happens all the time. My kids love to draw, paint, an do other crafts. I expect once they get older it will take more time but right now We can get it done pretty quickly.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM
3 moms liked this
You know what? Do what fits your family best! If your schedule works, why mess it up a good thing?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN