Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help please with geography

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM
  • 15 Replies

What does everyone use for geography?  We really need a good curriculum.

by on Sep. 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

We use Sonlight, which incorporates a lot of maps (usually identifying the physical setting for a book we are reading or a period of history we are studying), as well as Geography Songs by Kathy Troxel. It's a book and CD. Then I also print off other worksheets (flag, etc) for the country we are looking at that day.

I didn't think my kids were getting much out of it, but the other night at cub scouts my son the only kid who could identify the middle east and specifically, Saudi Arabia, on a map of the world. He said even the den leaders didn't know what they were looking at. :) So I guess it's working pretty well! We usually listen to the songs in the car when we are driving somewhere. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't truly use a "curriculum," we bought National Geographic Kids World Atlas and US Atlas.  We slowly read through the first section about the kinds of maps, environments, how to use etc.  Then I make up a test for that section and each region/continent.  The US one has 6 sections, so we break it into 6 different 6-week sections.  Last year we broke it into continents but we smashed Australia and Antarctica together because there weren't as many countries to cover.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM
We're using Notgrass history which intertwines geography in each unit.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM

We used World Physical Geography by Brenda Runkle for 7th grade.  It was ok, not great.  I've come to find that just having maps and a globe handy when reading (lit, science, history, etc) is way more effective than using a formal program.  So that's what we'll be doing this year.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Trail guide to us geography. Very excellent. I also have a 9 by 6 foot map we are putting together. We are learning our states and capitols using the map. It was a $5 download from geography matters.
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

How old are your kids -- and what type of geography do you want them to learn? 

If you want just basic continents, countries, etc.  there is a great, free online site Sheppards Software (www.sheppardsoftware.com/ .  Look under "World") that has lots and lots of matching games, together with information about each country, etc.

I've also used "Mapping the World by Heart" for older children. 

drinkme8184
by Member on Sep. 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
We have nat geo us atlas too... maybe I'll get a world atlas as well and do what you do. Thank you

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We don't truly use a "curriculum," we bought National Geographic Kids World Atlas and US Atlas.  We slowly read through the first section about the kinds of maps, environments, how to use etc.  Then I make up a test for that section and each region/continent.  The US one has 6 sections, so we break it into 6 different 6-week sections.  Last year we broke it into continents but we smashed Australia and Antarctica together because there weren't as many countries to cover.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM

We use ABeka and it is included with our activity stuff.  Otherwise we picked a state and studied about it.  My kids have a state book journal they can't wait to finish while on fall vacation.....they are almost done.

Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 11, 2014 at 2:38 PM

classical conversations :) (it covers everything, but I love what they do for geography. The kids can locate a place on the map, tell what the place is on the map and draw it. We go over a about 4-7 locations, review it 7 times each day for a week.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM

We don't use a curriculum either. We use maps, atlases and encyclopedias. I will occassionally surf the internet and download or print something that lines up with what we are doing at the time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)