Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting Homeschool

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I have three children ages 3, 6, and 7. After a few years of discussing home-school with my husband we are finally moving forward with it. I turned in the required paperwork to the school district and they should respond within a week. We are hoping to officially start home-school at the end of October. I have stocked up on a little bit of school supplies and have been researching different curriculum.

One curriculum I will be using is Horizons; do any of you ladies use this? what do you think about it?

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wcmsahm
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I've never heard of Horizons. Common curriculum in my area is Abeka, Bob Jones, and Saxon. 

Bookoholic
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM
I'm not sure, at this moment I am using work book and interests my child has to teach him. This week we are looking at alligator's and crocodiles with the intention of going towards reptiles and sea life.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I use a catalog called Rainbow Resource to pick and choose most of my curroculim. I throw on some Steck-vaighn and Barnes n Noble workbooks and stuff from independent vendors (math u see, All About Spelling, etc)
amonkeymom
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM

That's great, good for you!

I don't use that curriculum, my son does online school through connections.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never used it but have heard some positives about it. If it's not too cost effective, try it out. 

Do you know how your children learn? Are they active learners or do they learn better by hearing the lessons? Or both?  

MethodMom
by on Sep. 26, 2014 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
When choosing a curriculum, you have to find something that you like and that works with their learning style. I teach using a Charlotte Mason style. It works perfectly for my family. Do what is best for YOUR family. If you find that it is not working, change to something else. That is the beauty of homeschooling.
oahoah
by on Sep. 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Congratulations on taking that leap to start!  We used Horizons for math a couple years back but it was before discovering my son wasn't (and still isn't) a workbook learner.  I liked it though!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I like this statement. I wished I had known this when I firsted started homeschooling all those years ago!  :) 

Quoting MethodMom: When choosing a curriculum, you have to find something that you like and that works with their learning style.
I teach using a Charlotte Mason style. It works perfectly for my family. Do what is best for YOUR family. If you find that it is not working, change to something else. That is the beauty of homeschooling.

TigerofMu
by on Sep. 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I haven't used Horizons, but best wishes with your homeschooling journey!

Bethbeth
by Member on Sep. 28, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I am using Horizons for Math. I chose not to use it for the other subjects though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)