Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help with science.

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have a 7 yr old boy who loves and is obsessed with science. Which is great. This is our first full year of homeschooling(took him out of public kinder during winter break last year).

I have never bought a science curriculum and I'm hesitant to do so. Last year we used Lesson Pathways, which was ok but we zipped through it. Also at times he would complain at times that there wasn't enough hands on etc. I've also developed my own "lessons" more like Unit studies for science but again he tends to zip through. He easily grasps the concepts and information. 

The problem is finding enough info to give him and to challenge him. I'm not against a curriculum but I'm afraid that if I lay out money he will just end up flying through it and leave me with half a year and back to the same problem. Planning everything myself is great but takes a lot of time as well and at times it requires more time then I have. I feel like I'm constantly scrambling to get more info for him to keep him engaged, challenged and not bored. 

We do tend to follow the Charlotte Mason Method for most everything it's just that Nature Study is great but we can't always spend enough time outdoors(live in an apartment complex) to satisfy him. 

Any tips, thoughts, sites etc? 

by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
We do science in a nutshell boxes. They are a bit expensive at $45 a box but have at least 10 experiments in each and each has materials for three students.

They are designed for 1-6th grade so an advanced Kinder shouldnt have any problem with them. Not sure if they make them for singles.

I would get library books on topics that he wamts to go more in depth in.
suziejax
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Have you thought about spplimenting with what you do online science too like at Time4learning?

jen2150
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM
We use simple homeschooling which is online science curriculum. It has pdf's you can print, along with videos and living books we find ourselves. We do a living book approach as well. It is the perfect mix for us. I just a little of my own research but not enough to stress me out.
Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM
There are so many science experiment curriculum and even online. I would stick to those type of projects and stay away from roo much textbook stuff. My boys are signed up with ranger Rick magazines, we have science encyclopedias (like US Borne), and we have several books on how to do experiment books, like van cleave I think it is called. Right now we have a body book (sorry I don't have names at the moment) where they are coloring each part of the body, will trace their own body and put all the pieces in the correct order. We will do probability later in ther year, we r have put together solar systems in the past, disect crawfish that we ordered online, we went on nature hunts searchING for animals, bugs, plants. We go to many science museums as well. I think hands on science is the best!
Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Oh, also 23 have planted a garden, and order butterflies.
ablackdolphin
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM

We LOVE the Usborne books with internet links. There are several.

ablackdolphin
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Magic school bus monthly science kits, DVDs and books

ablackdolphin
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I also like Apologia

tntmom1027
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

We just did a solar system model and a few weeks studying the solar system and then a bit of the Universe. We do a lot of outdoor stuff but as it is getting colder we are venturing out less(will be in the 30's this week) as it reeks havoc on my arthritis. He did the butterfly kit at his preschool a few years ago but having one at home with our crazy cats might be a bit tricky(and dangerous for the butterfly even while in a cacoon. lol ).

I might have to check into another magazine. 

Quoting Precious333: There are so many science experiment curriculum and even online. I would stick to those type of projects and stay away from roo much textbook stuff. My boys are signed up with ranger Rick magazines, we have science encyclopedias (like US Borne), and we have several books on how to do experiment books, like van cleave I think it is called. Right now we have a body book (sorry I don't have names at the moment) where they are coloring each part of the body, will trace their own body and put all the pieces in the correct order. We will do probability later in ther year, we r have put together solar systems in the past, disect crawfish that we ordered online, we went on nature hunts searchING for animals, bugs, plants. We go to many science museums as well. I think hands on science is the best!

tntmom1027
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I have heard that many like them but I"m not sure about making he investment right now. I'm going to check out the other books you mentioned. We do use Magic school bus kits as well when we can. 

Quoting ablackolphin:

I also like Apologia

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)