• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do for your preschoolers?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:36 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

My dd is about to turn 3.  I am biased of course but think she is doing okay for her age. 

She knows her colors, letters and some of their sounds, as well as her shapes, a few numbers (These she will pick up and tell me what they are...0,3,5,8) (If I ask her the others she will pick them up when prompted) , she can count to 12, sing most of the abc song...she can draw a circle and a square.  She can also write a handful of letters(a,c,d,o, i) (she practices writing on her own through tracing on a dry erase board), do 12 piece puzzles and build towers with wooden blocks as high as she is tall. 

I am trying to have her learn as much as she can through play: coloring, puzzles, playdough, blocks....etc.  We use a dry erase board as well.  We do a few things on abc mouse and starfall.com. 

When do you start a more formal curriculum if that's what you do?  I know I probaby still have a couple of years. I was just curious.  Thanks ladies.

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM

She is too little for anything formal yet. What you are doing is just fine. If you haven't already, get some activity books. Read to her. Even at 5, she may not be ready for anything formal. As long as you keep doing what you are doing, she will pick up what she needs to know. Sometimes faster and sometimes a bit slower. 

JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Depends on your kid. I didn't do anything formal at all with mine until 4 and i only started then because they asked me to.
Codysmom2106
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I haven't thought to do activity books with her yet. Thank you for the suggestion.  She has two cousins (1 3 weeks older than her, the other 5 months younger) both of which go to one of the top preschools in out county.  I worry about her not keeping up sometimes as their parents are always bragging about how smart her cousins are and how much they are learning at school. It honestly makes me a little self conscious sometimes.  I really don't want her to fall "behind".  Thanks for all of your help and advice.  You have helped me a great deal.  I hope you have a good night.

Quoting kirbymom:

She is too little for anything formal yet. What you are doing is just fine. If you haven't already, get some activity books. Read to her. Even at 5, she may not be ready for anything formal. As long as you keep doing what you are doing, she will pick up what she needs to know. Sometimes faster and sometimes a bit slower. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Thank you. :)

Yeah, people can be trying at times. Try not to pay too much attention to what they are saying. When children are pushed and pushed to learn as quickly as they can, they get burned out on learning and soon hate it and don't want to learn anymore. Learning should be interesting and fun when kids are young. Especially at your daughter's age.

Quoting Codysmom2106:

I haven't thought to do activity books with her yet. Thank you for the suggestion.  She has two cousins (1 3 weeks older than her, the other 5 months younger) both of which go to one of the top preschools in out county.  I worry about her not keeping up sometimes as their parents are always bragging about how smart her cousins are and how much they are learning at school. It honestly makes me a little self conscious sometimes.  I really don't want her to fall "behind".  Thanks for all of your help and advice.  You have helped me a great deal.  I hope you have a good night.

Quoting kirbymom:

Codysmom2106
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly! And I don't want that for her. I really want her to go at her own pace. She's a very smart little girl. I know she will get there just in her own time. :)

Quoting kirbymom: Thank you. :) Yeah, people can be trying at times. Try not to pay too much attention to what they are saying. When children are pushed and pushed to learn as quickly as they can, they get burned out on learning and soon hate it and don't want to learn anymore. Learning should be interesting and fun when kids are young. Especially at your daughter's age.
Quoting Codysmom2106:

Quoting kirbymom:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Lol -- That is why I said to you you were doing just fine. Here is another thought I thought of, get some sing along audio tapes and sone vhs sing along tapes and see if those would be of interest to your daughter. I know my youngest loves them and learned a lot because she had fun with them. They might interest her. Just a thought.

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Exactly! And I don't want that for her. I really want her to go at her own pace. She's a very smart little girl. I know she will get there just in her own time. :)

Quoting kirbymom: Thank you. :)

Yeah, people can be trying at times. Try not to pay too much attention to what they are saying. When children are pushed and pushed to learn as quickly as they can, they get burned out on learning and soon hate it and don't want to learn anymore. Learning should be interesting and fun when kids are young. Especially at your daughter's age.

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Quoting kirbymom:

jen2150
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM
I started in 1st grade with curriculum. Around 4 I very gradually added things in as their attention span improved.
Codysmom2106
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
She enjoys music very much. I actually hear her singing a nursery rhyme song this morning that I think she learned from starfall. Definitely something to look in to.

Quoting kirbymom: Lol -- That is why I said to you you were doing just fine. Here is another thought I thought of, get some sing along audio tapes and sone vhs sing along tapes and see if those would be of interest to your daughter. I know my youngest loves them and learned a lot because she had fun with them. They might interest her. Just a thought.

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Quoting kirbymom: Thank you. :)

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Quoting kirbymom:

mamideethan
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM

the game of comparing cousins... don't take it personal or let it get to your daughter. Usually when adults do that, it's because their insecurities are wildly out of control

bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on Nov. 25, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Play. Play. Play.

Sing songs, play board games---Trouble, Candyland, Chutes & Ladders, Sorry, Connect 4---, play card games---war, pig n' the pen, crazy 8s, old maid, go fish----, play rhyming words, find letters on signs, read sight words or find letters in the bedtime stories, count steps to the car, count stairs, count skips down the sidewalk, count clouds, count flowers, 

Play dominoes, use the dots to make addition sentences.

Use scissors and crayons and markers and fold paper to make crafts.

One big complaint I have about the way preschools are heading is the move from real paper crafts to foam.  Sticking stickers together just don't appeal to me as full blown crafts.  It's rare for my kids to come home from church, etc with any real crafts anymore.  Using real scissors and real paper, pipe cleaners, etc.  These things use fine motor skills that will help in writing.  Using real paper that is flat and plain and making something identifiable like a snowman or turkey.  That fosters thinking skills that will build creativity, rationality, and logic skills.

Arm yourself with the knowledge that the things you are doing are just as good as the curricula being taught at those preschools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)