Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Language Arts ?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM
  • 32 Replies

What do you use and do for language arts?  Do you supplement if you use a curriculum? 

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM

We use Curtis Hake Grammar & Writing for Jamie. Because I didn't know how we'd like it, we're also using it along side Just Write, Write! , & The Creative Writer. Out of the other writing books, we're just picking things as she needs extra practice. 
Both kids also use Handwriting Without Tears &^ All About Spelling
Riley uses Write Shop Primary 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Which ones are the kids' favorite?

Quoting No_Difference:

We use Curtis Hake Grammar & Writing for Jamie. Because I didn't know how we'd like it, we're also using it along side Just Write, Write! , & The Creative Writer. Out of the other writing books, we're just picking things as she needs extra practice. Both kids also use Handwriting Without Tears &^ All About SpellingRiley uses Write Shop Primary  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Out of the mix, handwriting and spelling lol. Jamie isn't fan of writing in general, and really doesn't like any of those ones. If she could choose which of the three writing curriculums, she'd probably go with Just Write since it's the less intensive out of them, but I think we're just going to stick with the Curtis Hake one for the rest of the year. I can tell she is learning from it, and she doesn't need me to instruct it too much since it does a well enough job on its own. Which turns out a win win for both of us, even though she doesn't like it :/ 

Quoting kirbymom:

Which ones are the kids' favorite?

Quoting No_Difference:

We use Curtis Hake Grammar & Writing for Jamie. Because I didn't know how we'd like it, we're also using it along side Just Write, Write! , & The Creative Writer. Out of the other writing books, we're just picking things as she needs extra practice. Both kids also use Handwriting Without Tears &^ All About SpellingRiley uses Write Shop Primary  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:26 PM

We are using Voyages in English for grammar and writing.  We use Explode the Code for phonetics and we also use Handwriting without Tears.  We do supplement with Mobymax for grammar and vocabulary.  Mostly because he thinks mobymax is fun.

Codysmom2106
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

We have been using Shurley English, All About Spelling and Spectrum work books.  I have heard great things about Handwriting without tears but am overwhelmed with all of the products available I wouldn't even know where to start. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Mobymax? What is mobymax?

Quoting kmath:

We are using Voyages in English for grammar and writing.  We use Explode the Code for phonetics and we also use Handwriting without Tears.  We do supplement with Mobymax for grammar and vocabulary.  Mostly because he thinks mobymax is fun.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM
I get overwhelmed myself sometimes when I am searching for a new way to learn or a solution for one of the kids if they are stuck in their lesson.
I know there are a few moms here that use Handwriting without tears and love it. You should ask around and see what everyone's opinion.

Quoting Codysmom2106:

We have been using Shurley English, All About Spelling and Spectrum work books.  I have heard great things about Handwriting without tears but am overwhelmed with all of the products available I wouldn't even know where to start. 

Lordgodempress
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I've been using Easy Peasy All in One homeschooling and All About Spelling.  I've been teaching her handwriting on my own.  We were usin Time4learning but she was struggling with it, it went too fast on some things and too slow on others.   She loves Easy Peasy.  I wanted a more complete curriculum for language arts but that's her weak subject and I'm afraid to mess with it since she likes it so much.  

Mandallyn
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:19 PM
We use First Language Lessons. I don't generally supplement. I want my oldest to start writing book reports though (just a 3 paragraph essay), we'll probably get something to help him understand essay format, etc. We use Apples to Pears for writing and spelling. For my son a full lesson can be very demanding, so I'm not requiring much more at this point.
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Mobymax.com is a great website for math, grammar and vocabulary.  There are some other subjects in there but those are the main ones we use.  They are supposed to be getting science as well, and I want to see what they do with it.  You can give placement tests and then the kid works through lessons at their own pace.

Quoting kirbymom: Mobymax? What is mobymax?
Quoting kmath:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)