Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
Driving myself crazy looking for homeschool programs.

Online (Calvert) or boxed curriculum

What do you ladies suggest for curriculum?
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Deniselynn2012
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Kindergarten next year and have been going thru "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" will be done in about 2 months. She is doing well with it.
amonkeymom
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Welcome to the group!

I can't really recommend anything, we're doing cyberschool here.

Deniselynn2012
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:55 PM
What cyber school are you doing?

Quoting amonkeymom:

Welcome to the group!

amonkeymom
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Connections Academy

Quoting Deniselynn2012: What cyber school are you doing?
Quoting amonkeymom:

Welcome to the group!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Hi Deniselynn! :)  Welcome! :)

I would just continue doing what you are doing now.  You can do a lot just by utilizing the internet and your local library. On the interne, there are quite a few websites that are free for full curriculums.

Have you thought about whether you want a seculuar program or do you lean towards a more religious faith based curriculum?

Deniselynn2012
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM
After more research I want a program that allows me to teach but provides a certificate at the end saying they completed the grade. It doesn't matter to me religious I can always find bible lessons. More importantly I do not want common core.

Quoting kirbymom:

I would just continue doing what you are doing now.  You can do a lot just by utilizing the internet and your local library. On the interne, there are quite a few websites that are free for full curriculums.

Have you thought about whether you want a seculuar program or do you lean towards a more religious faith based curriculum?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM

First off, I apologize for my grammatical errors. YIKES! lol

Secondly, finding a curriculum that is not Common Core aligned is not that easy to find but can be done. I believe there are some websites that offer free curriculum but am not sure if they issue any certificates at the end. I write all of my own curriculum. I do know that you can buy whole curriculum or buy subjects singularly.

Another thing you should keep in mind is how everyone learns and then base your research of curriculum on that as much as certifications and finances.

Quoting Deniselynn2012: After more research I want a program that allows me to teach but provides a certificate at the end saying they completed the grade. It doesn't matter to me religious I can always find bible lessons. More importantly I do not want common core.
Quoting kirbymom:

MamaLauri
by Member on Nov. 27, 2014 at 9:11 PM

You might want to check on your states view on testing homeschoolers. About half are talking about testing all kids with standard tests when they no longer have waivers for common core.

Quoting Deniselynn2012: After more research I want a program that allows me to teach but provides a certificate at the end saying they completed the grade. It doesn't matter to me religious I can always find bible lessons. More importantly I do not want common core.
Quoting kirbymom:

Deniselynn2012
by on Nov. 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM
I've thought about making my own curriculum. I think I am leaning towards Abeka thru CLASS. Provides the program at a reasonable price along with certification. Have you heard of it?

Quoting kirbymom:

Secondly, finding a curriculum that is not Common Core aligned is not that easy to find but can be done. I believe there are some websites that offer free curriculum but am not sure if they issue any certificates at the end. I write all of my own curriculum. I do know that you can buy whole curriculum or buy subjects singularly.

Another thing you should keep in mind is how everyone learns and then base your research of curriculum on that as much as certifications and finances.

Quoting kirbymom:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 28, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Actually, I haven't heard of this. 

What does it entail? 

I would say that if you can stay comfortable getting this program, then go for it.

Quoting Deniselynn2012: I've thought about making my own curriculum. I think I am leaning towards Abeka thru CLASS. Provides the program at a reasonable price along with certification. Have you heard of it?
Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)